Residencia Rentista - Update

TruchoTango

Registered
This morning I went to Migraciones with my disparate paperwork. I have good news and a challenge.

Migraciones was efficient and friendly. I checked in and went to Building 6 and was seen by Federico.

He went through the paperwork, got to the brokerage letter and took it to his supervisor. He returned and said, "This letter indicates that your income is contingent upon specifici circumstances. For example, it says 'if nothing changes...' We need something that says you will receive this income with certainty."

I put on my sad but understanding face and actually was pretty bummed. I explained that I tried my hardest, but that after the economic crisis in the US of 2009, no financial institution would write me such a letter.

Federico got up and went to a phone. Two minutes later he returned and said, "We will accept this letter. But it must be notarized and apostilled. And translated."

I expressed sincere gratitude, not too much - you gotta keep a little bit of a poker face. But Federico said that everything else was in order. I just need the brokerage letter notarized and apostilled and translated.

I asked him for a suggestion. Federico said, "Get it notarized. By anyone. By any instituition. As long as it comes from the US. Just get it notarized and apostilled and we will accept it. We know who you are now, so its ok."

Federico also explained that they won't kick me out of the country. Since I have started the process, I have an undefined period of time to complete the tramite. Also, if my sick Aunt turns for the worse, I can leave the country without having to procure another FBI report. If I stay a month out of Argentina, there may be a problem, but 10 days, two weeks, no problem.

I am grateful. I am almost there. But now I have to get this brokerage letter notarized and apostilled and I really have no idea how to get that done. My first thought is the embassy. But those of you who are familiar with my previous posts will recall that the brokerage and the accountant both demurred.

I just looked on the US Embassy website and they will not notarize my document.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks a mil gang.

I asked him for a suggestion. Federico said, "Get it notarized. By anyone. By any instituition. As long as it comes from the US. Just get it notarized and apostilled and we will accept it. We know who you are now, so its ok."

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Unless they are willing to break the law, I believe a notary must actually witness the signing of any document that they notarize.

I suggest you ask the broker to write a new letter, have it notarized, and then send it to someone who can get the Apostille for it and send it to you.

I notarized a document via Skype for USD50. Virginia has an eNotary law that's unique and allows notarizing via video conference and it worked for me to get document ordered from:

John K. Cole at http://oncallnotary-va.com/ Email: [email protected] (I found several others in VA as well).

The process: I emailed him my documents for review. I had printed them and then we arranged a time via Skype (I did this in a matter of minutes). On Skype, he had me show my driver's license and passport which I had referenced on my documents (It will be recorded). Then I held up the document that I signed it. After I signed the document--I scanned it and he returned it with the notizazing stamp within a few minutes. (You don't even have to get dressed or leave the house if you have a scanner). ;) I paid via PayPal (You can use any credit card if you don't use PayPal). $25 of it goes to the Commonwealth and the other $25 to the Notary, apparently. Not free, but a huge time saver. And I my case....I just emailed the docs for the State Dept to my father...he printed everything and sent it off. So I didn't even have to deal with sending from Argentina to the US.

I had searched for this option when I needed a document from the State Dept. The US Consular office was coming up to Cordoba for a assistance, but did not offer this service. It worked. I received my document from State Dept.

Good luck!

I can't wait for the day all this notarizing and apostilling gets replaced by an efficient technology...

The thing is, it already exists. It's called public key signing, and it has existed since at least the days of PGP (the early 1990s), and it's a million times more secure (less forgeable) than an actual notary stamp (which are sitting in thousands of unlocked office desk drawers in the US). This isn't encryption, it's just signing a document. It takes a document, and you "sign" it using your private key, and then the whole world can see that you and only you signed it. Computer nerds have known about this for years, but it probably won't hit the mainstream for at least 5 or 10 more years.

Estonia even has something called "Electronic Resident" which is something which negates need of all this bullshit. If all the first and 2nd world adopts it, life would be 100 times more simpler.

https://e-estonia.com/e-residents/about/

I think Steve's suggestion is best for your case as it's likely the signing by the broker will need to be notarized. Although perhaps you could include your own cover that's notarized stating the attached letter is true and correct. That's effectively what I did in my case, but doesn't get you over the finish line since you still need the Apostille! And that's only possible in the state where is was notarized...so revert to steveinbsas post.

Depending the state and who you have to do your bidding (walk-in or mail for you)....it can be really quick to get the Apostille. Some states do it on the spot...some turn them in as few as 5-10 days. Then send FedEx and you'll have in short order.

You meant to say "more simple" or "much simpler".

Well, you, sleslie and janotango ( the 3 renowned world famous English teachers living in BA) can sit all day long and pick on my English errors/typos.

Perhaps knowning English as a native, is the greatest achievement of your respective lives!

----

Regarding my English skills-

If you ever know the truth, you will eat humble pie!

But for now and perhaps for ever, you can laugh as much as you like - cos this suits me the best. In fact, thank you.

Reactions: Joe
Back