Residency Advantages

Yup... DNI is helpful, but not required. Not all banks will let you open an account without a DNI, but having one makes it easy. Same for contracts (like cell phones, etc.)

The discounts aside from airfare are true as well, and they work outside Argentina with permanent residency. They checked my DNI at the Brazilian side of Iguazu to give me the mercosur resident discount for two parks there, but I only have temporary residency, so no go. Also, once you're permanent you can use your DNI to vote in local elections (not important for me personally). ;)

Hey LivingLarge -- aren't you required by law to vote here? Or is that just once you go through the next step and get a passport? You should vote! Maybe you weren't a voter in your home country? tsk tsk... I always say, if you don't vote, you have NO right to complain! ;)

I guess that with residency you can also sign a 2 year lease for an apt

soulskier said:
. . . . I also believe you can have a much more favorable tax structure. Maybe one days we should start a thread on that?
Please! (I'm neither a resident nor, aside from paying the IVA, a taxpayer in Argentina, so I'm not the one to start that thread.)

syngirl said:
Hey LivingLarge -- aren't you required by law to vote here? Or is that just once you go through the next step and get a passport? You should vote! Maybe you weren't a voter in your home country? tsk tsk... I always say, if you don't vote, you have NO right to complain! ;)

Neither temporary or permanent residency bestow the obligation to vote. Only citizens may/must vote in the national elections. I don't think citizens are required to have a passport...just the DNI.

syngirl said:

Hi, as I understand it from some info I read a while ago, voting is not compulsory for foreigners with permanent residency, its optional. Voting is limited to local "city" elections also, not national. I do vote ;) .... so I can later complaint :rolleyes:. What I meant with "not important" is that voting-rights it is not a reason I got the DNI for.

I just renewed my DNI today, took a few hours of waiting around but once my number was called the whole process was 15 minutes long they also updated my address. The entire deal cost a whopping $23 pesos. They stamped the "prorrogas de permanencia" section and extended the validity for 1 additional year. One more year and I can then be permanent!! YAY!!

Probably too soon to say, David, but are you considering going beyond permanent residency and seeking Argentine citizenship?

After ten years in Argentina and many trips to Colonia and Migraciones to renew my tourist visa, I am having second thoughts about beginning the residency process in one year when I receive social security to meet the income requirement. I don't have to work, don't care to travel, and don't need a DNI for anything.

This discussion has helped me clarify my plans to apply for temporary residency in 2010. After hearing what friends have to go through in renewing, it doesn't seem to be worth the bother for me. Colonia, Uruguay is my only travel destination!

soulskier said:
Also, ski passes and national parks are heavily discounted with a DNI.

I also believe you can have a much more favorable tax structure. Maybe one days we should start a thread on that?

This is one item I hadn't thought about, reduced fees for ski passes and parks.

Actually the tax situation as I understand it is that income tax rates in Argentina are higher than the U.S. and this would be an interesting topic. Are there any permanent residents there that can contribute what their experience has been with the income taxes in Argentina?

I know if you are employed there they deduct it from your pay. Payroll deductions for income taxes and other items can be very stiff. I had an engineer friend working there on a construction project and he complained that nearly 50% of his pay went to taxes.

Back