Residency Advantages

gouchobob said:
I have to hand it to all the folks that have the patience to apply for residency. I have a phobia with the Argentine bureaucracy. Given the choice between dealing with Somali pirates and the Argentine government I think I'd chose the pirates. At least with them its straight forward and you know what to expect.

I had no problems whatsoever at migraciones or at the registro.

Agreed, the folks in migraciones are a cut above your average Argentine public servants.

Tapioca said:
SCAM! He/she is ripping you off. This country is not Pakistan. You do NOT need a "lawyer" to do apply for your FOREIGNER DNI (it's brown instead of the normal green). Take a good book and do the line.
I have permanent residency, I did the line, I was looking into it for someone else!

Moxon said:
Agreed, the folks in migraciones are a cut above your average Argentine public servants.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly, the people in migraciones are organized and helpful. I have renewed my residency twice and I was in the migraciones office last week, it's being totally renovated and modernized, with new systems. I can't complain at all. To be honest, I have been to immigration in New York City where I am originally from, tried to help some foreign people in New York to get their papers in order and it was truly impossible and the people I was with were treated VERY rudely by the immigration workers in New York. A round of applause for migraciones in Argentina, you put New York City immigration offices to shame!

Except for trámites like Prórrogas, where I was yesterday for 4 hours and 15 minutes to renew my visa. I have no complaints with the employees for they too suffer the system, but hitting the 4 hour mark was disturbing.

miloshz said:
could be done even in a month

honestly speaking ''money talks'' could be applied here more than anywhere else

Personally, I'm highly skeptical that the DNI can be done in a month (or 3) at this time. But residency visas certainly can be done in a month.

From other posts I've read in the past two days, migraciones is currently giving appointments for mid June...and that's just the initial opportunity to submit the documents. IF everything is in order, I think it will take two or three more weeks before the residency precaria would be granted.

The DNI is an entirely different matter.

Back