Residency Advantages

I will definitely change to permanent resident when I can in another year or so, citizenship I am not sure, I have to see what the advantages / disadvantages are to it.

GB, we paid 620 pesos for season passes at the ski resort, valid all season except the 16 days of holidays.

Yesterday I went towards Cerro Tronador and flashed my DNI and did not have to pay any par entrance fee (30 pesos per extranjero).

Regarding tax structure, I pay far less as a self employed "monotributo" then back in the States.

One of these days, we should start a thread on taxes.

jantango said:
After ten years in Argentina and many trips to Colonia and Migraciones to renew my tourist visa, I am having second thoughts about beginning the residency process in one year when I receive social security to meet the income requirement. I don't have to work, don't care to travel, and don't need a DNI for anything.

This discussion has helped me clarify my plans to apply for temporary residency in 2010. After hearing what friends have to go through in renewing, it doesn't seem to be worth the bother for me. Colonia, Uruguay is my only travel destination!

You've been doing the back and forth to Colonia for 10 years? Your passport must have a ton of stamps. Do they ever hassle you about it on the return? I got hassled last time about the number of stamps. Have you been in Argentina continuously for 10 years?

Celia said:
I was told by a lawyer he could get a new dni application appt within 3 months....I think some hands just need to be greased.

SCAM! He/she is ripping you off. This country is not Pakistan. You do NOT need a "lawyer" to do apply for your FOREIGNER DNI (it's brown instead of the normal green). Take a good book and do the line.

steveinbsas said:
Thanks, LivingLargeBA. I had no problem renewing, either. I was wondering about new applicants....

Yes. New applications are being processed but they are taking a long time to even get the appointment, 9-12 months at this time! So I image some people may actually be gone before they get a DNI.

Tapioca said:
SCAM! He/she is ripping you off. This country is not Pakistan. You do NOT need a "lawyer" to do apply for your FOREIGNER DNI (it's brown instead of the normal green). Take a good book and do the line.

Remember, you must have a resident visa prior to obtaining the DNI.

A slick attorney with the right connections (and "creative" paperwork) may indeed be able to get a resident visa for a foreigner that couldn't do it alone.

But it will probably cost about $1000USD to get the visa in the first place...and up to $700USD per year to renew (in addition to the paperwork: translation fees, postage, etc.)....according to those I know who have paid for this service .

If my information is correct, three renewals are required before permanent residency can be granted.

Do the math. Six trips to Colonia (and six to migraciones in BA) in three years is much cheaper.

But if you are here for the long haul and can do it yourself, getting the resident visa (and then the DNI) will cost the least. It's worth the effort (and not very difficult) if you are really qualified.

steveinbsas said:
But it will probably cost about $1000USD to get the visa in the first place...and up to $700USD per year to renew (in addition to the paperwork: translation fees, postage, etc.)....according to those I know who have paid for this service .

You mean $1000 USD with paying a lawyer to do everything right? From what I saw it's $300 ARG for the work visa. FBI check $18 USD, Birth Cert $15 USD, Apostille $10 USD, Translations $50 USD, Fed Ex back and forth to US $70 USD, I don't know how much renewals are here in Argentina. I'm estimating less than $300 USD for the initial work visa here DIY. I'll keep tabs as I finish up the process and report back.

cujodu said:
You mean $1000 USD with paying a lawyer to do everything right? From what I saw it's $300 ARG for the work visa. FBI check $18 USD, Birth Cert $15 USD, Apostille $10 USD, Translations $50 USD, Fed Ex back and forth to US $70 USD, I don't know how much renewals are here in Argentina. I'm estimating less than $300 USD for the initial work visa here DIY. I'll keep tabs as I finish up the process and report back.

From what I have been told by those who have paid a lawyer, that's all correct! My first two visa renewals cost $200 ARG each, but it is reasonable to expect a price increase in the future. Apparently, DNI renewals recently increased from $15 ARG from $23 ARG.

I paid a lovely woman from Uruguay a very reasonable fee to go to migraciones and translate for me. We were easily able to answer a few questions regarding my source of income. The visa and subsequent renewals were granted. There was never a hint of a bribe.

I applied for and received the DNI on my own!

I have to hand it to all the folks that have the patience to apply for residency. I have a phobia with the Argentine bureaucracy. Given the choice between dealing with Somali pirates and the Argentine government I think I'd chose the pirates. At least with them its straight forward and you know what to expect.

Back