Residency after marriage

ElQueso said:
I know a US citizen who married an Argentina here and then took his wife to the States to get residency there. They fly back and forth now, spending six months there every year (two months at a time) to maintain her residency until she gets permanent residency.

So, if you do something like that, you'll have to make sure you are going back to the States anyway to maintain her residency and spend 6 months there to ensure it.

If you're going to do that, I see no reason why you would need residency here during that process. You would be living here legally for six months at a time if you are a tourist, if you live there six months as well and you wouldn't need residency to stay here legally in that case.

As far as you having to stay in the US to get her visa after you're married there, I don't believe you have to do that, or lose the ability to do it later. As I understand it, you can marry in the US then move here and when you plan to move back to the US, go through the process at that time. It depends on whether or not you can continue to go back and forth between the US and Argentina and maintain her residency there (in either time or money) as to whether or not it makes sense.

If you are not going to get her residency in the US off the bat and fly back and forth, just put that off and get your residency here first. Things are much more simple that way.

I can't get a tourist visa for my wife to visit the US (freaking idiots). We've been married for 4 years. It doesn't matter that my father's got cancer, my mother had a stroke a few years ago, etc - they've never met their new daughter-in-law. I've considered going through the process of getting her a spouse visa but we haven't for the simple reason that it's relatively expensive and time consuming to do so, and on top of that I would have to do like my friend and spend 6 months out of the year there to maintain it - I can't afford the travel costs :)

I have bigger problems getting my wife a visa to the US because she's Paraguayan. She was told when they rejected her application that her biggest problem was that she was an immigrant here in Argentina and to give her a tourist visa to the US would be too tempting for her to immigrate there illegally. It made no sense to me whatsoever - why would she immigrate there illegally when she could do it legally through her marriage to me?

Also, she only has a bank account here. Until recently she didn't work and therefore has no record of tax payments, doesn't own a car, doesn't own property, etc.

They also told me that applications for tourist visas could not take anything into account other than the person who is applying for the visa - so the fact that she was married to an American whose parents were aging didn't carry any weight whatsoever.

I really despise the US' immigration policies, but that's another subject.

However, if you all are planning to get married there, I assume you've already gotten a visa (or are reasonably confident you can do so) for her. Being Argentina, with roots in her own country, etc, she probably wouldn't have much of a problem anyway.

I am sorry to hear about your family situation :( I recently went through similar with my Mother having cancer back in the US while I was living here...Thankfully I was able to get my fiancee up to visit her before she passed away.

My girlfriend also has Spanish citizenship (and I have Italian) so she doesnt need to get a visa when she comes to the US for a visit. The embassy people told me that once she gets the spousal visa she can come into the States and right away they stamp her passport as Legal Permanent Resident, right when she goes through customs...no waiting in the US no nothing. I also have read that to keep you residency there are a few tricks to keep it going without losing it; going back every year, convincing them you are out of the country for reasons beyond your control, etc.

Hi! I was reading about the papers for people marrying argentineans and I want to ask if you can help me about my situation. My husband is Moroccan and I'm Argentinean, and he wants to go to live with me to Mendoza, Argentina. The problem is that he needs to apply for visa but he's not working so we don't know how he can follow me to my country... Do you have any idea of how the procedures are to pursue this?

Thank you!!

Back