Residency Approved, Now What?

I did indeed get my DNI many, many years ago. Before there were computers and they had Chinese translators everywhere. I had no idea it had changed so much. Still, if you want to apply for the nuevo ejemplar of a DNI you have to at Registro Nacional de las Personas, but if they're allowing you to apply for one at migraciones that's fantastic. Matas dos pajaros con un tiro.
Yes, it is part of the initial temporary or permanent residency application, now.

Yes, it is part of the initial temporary or permanent residency application, now.

They finally simplified the process. In the old days you had to get in line at 4am and wait for the Registro Nacional de las Personas to open at 9am when it was located on Uruguay. Unfortunately I had to do it in the winter. I remember they would take your finger prints with ink and give you one crappy piece of paper to clean the ink off your fingers and nothing was done on a computer. Now it's all digital.

thanks all! I had a minor panic attack thinking about having to figure out how to go to request a DNI but it seems that it gets requested by migraciones like I thought. Will check that website out when I get home and can check my ticket number!

I guess I misunderstood the first time the link was posted and thought it was just the same migraciones status page id been checking to see if my residency was approved or not.

You can call them and ask them what can you carry with you to prove you are a legal resident. Not sure what the page on their system says, but it would not be a bad idea to print it out and carry it with you.

hey- me again! So, my precaria expires later this week, still no DNI to be seen, BUT when i check the status of my residency on the migraciones website, it says its approved and there is documentation there that it is approved.

Does anyone think I should bother goign to migraciones before my precaria expires, or do you think it's enough that I have the documentation there that says im approved until november of next year? It's just kinda crazy to me that i just wait indefinitely for a DNI that i dont know will ever show up, but I guess I'm not surprised :)
if your Precaria is about to expire and you haven't received your DNI just go to immigration, pay A$10 and they will stamp an extension on your precaria. Good luck. BTW the DNI will show up. Patience is the virtue :)

if your Precaria is about to expire and you haven't received your DNI just go to immigration, pay A$10 and they will stamp an extension on your precaria. Good luck. BTW the DNI will show up. Patience is the virtue :)

Actually Pitipur mentioned that his temporary residency application was approved so he no longer needs precaria (extension). If you go to migraciones they give you a document stating that you have temp or permanent residency free of charge. In my case (permanent residency) the document they gave me was exactly the same as the pdf that you get on the migraciones website under "VER DOCUMENTACION". The first paragraph says:

VISTO el Expediente N° xxxxxx-2014 del registro de la DIRECCION
NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES, organismo descentralizado actuante en la órbita del
MINISTERIO DEL INTERIOR Y TRANSPORTE, lo establecido en la Ley Nº 25.871, el
Decreto Reglamentario Nº 616/10, las Disposiciones complementarias y concordantes,

update: el DNI se encuentra en el proceso de emision. dont know if that means its being printed or delivered but either way guess I will just keep waiting!

MIne says the same for about 3 weeks now. It means it is in the process of being issued, but I don't think it's been mailed yet. My precaria expires Jan 26 so I will probably go to migraciones next week to get that extension stamp to be on the safe side. I could carry the approval as noted above, but what if my precaria expires and the approval letter is not acceptable?

update: el DNI se encuentra en el proceso de emision. dont know if that means its being printed or delivered but either way guess I will just keep waiting!
It is being processed/printed. So it has not been handed over to OCA or Correo Argentino (yet). In my case it took around 20 calendar days from "El DNI se encuentra en el proceso de emisión" to "El DNI fue emitido y entregado a la empresa de correo ...". The good news is that they are working on your DNI.

Quick update from here. My DNI has recently arrived. The timeline of the process was as follows:
  • Day 1: Application for residency at Migraciones office - issuance of residencia precaria
  • Day 85: Approval of residency application - issuance of residencia permanente
  • Day 105: DNI sent (with OCA)
  • Day 115: DNI received
Keep in mind that there were a few holidays in between and also that I do not live in Buenos Aires.

Back