Residency Approved, Now What?

pitipur

Registered
Hey all, I'm happy to report that after 9 months, my temporary residency was approved for 1 year on November 20. My question is, now do I just wait for my DNI to get delivered to my house? Do I need to do something else? Is there somewhere online I can check the status of the DNI or do I just wait indefinitely? At what point do I call someone if it never arrives? etc etc etc.

Thanks!

Cant remember where you check online for the status, but it's fairly useless! The status of mine didnt change until the day after it was delivered.

You just have to wait... and you can check your status online as described here: http://baexpats.org/topic/31839-getting-my-papers-ready-for-permanent-residency-a-recap/page__st__90#entry288055 (pretty useless stuff, as Magico Gonzalez wrote).

If the expiration date of your temp. residency visa is approaching and you haven't received your DNI by then, you should go to Migraciones to inquire.

hey- me again! So, my precaria expires later this week, still no DNI to be seen, BUT when i check the status of my residency on the migraciones website, it says its approved and there is documentation there that it is approved.

Does anyone think I should bother goign to migraciones before my precaria expires, or do you think it's enough that I have the documentation there that says im approved until november of next year? It's just kinda crazy to me that i just wait indefinitely for a DNI that i dont know will ever show up, but I guess I'm not surprised :)

hey- me again! So, my precaria expires later this week, still no DNI to be seen, BUT when i check the status of my residency on the migraciones website, it says its approved and there is documentation there that it is approved.

Does anyone think I should bother goign to migraciones before my precaria expires, or do you think it's enough that I have the documentation there that says im approved until november of next year? It's just kinda crazy to me that i just wait indefinitely for a DNI that i dont know will ever show up, but I guess I'm not surprised :)

Have you checked the status of your DNI printing process?

http://www.mininteri...ramite-dni.php

Click on the "Consulta por Boleta Prenumerada" tab and enter the number from the page that you paid the $40 pesos for the DNI with (it is under barcode in the upper left corner). Once your DNI was printed and handed over to the postal service it should say "El DNI fue emitido y entregado a la empresa de correo ... con fecha ...".

It normally takes about a month for your DNI to arrive. Your precaria is good for 90 days unless I remember wrong. So no need to start planning for worst-case scenarios until there's reason to believe that something has gone wrong.

In my case, I was out of the country when mine arrived, the correo returned it to ReNaPer, and I had to waste the better part of a day in line to get it at Avenida Jujuy. This, after being bounced around a couple of offices of theirs around town.

I'm confused. Did you already go to Registro Nacional de las Personas to ask for a DNI? Becuase migraciones doesn't issue a DNI, that I"m aware of. When I got my DNI I had to go to Registro Nacional de las Personas and submit the documentation from migraciones. After five months I still hadn't received my DNI so I went to Reg. Nac. de las Personas and they sent me to an address in Jujuy to make a reclamo and ask for it to be resent.

I'm confused. Did you already go to Registro Nacional de las Personas to ask for a DNI? Becuase migraciones doesn't issue a DNI, that I"m aware of. When I got my DNI I had to go to Registro Nacional de las Personas and submit the documentation from migraciones. After five months I still hadn't received my DNI so I went to Reg. Nac. de las Personas and they sent me to an address in Jujuy to make a reclamo and ask for it to be resent.

It seems you got your DNI quite a while ago: they changed the procedures quite a bit a few years back. You pay the fee for the DNI at Migraciones, they coordinate with ReNaPer and you get the DNI sent to your home. Only if you miss it, as I did, does the postal company return it to ReNaPer and then you have to go get it at Av. Jujuy. Even then, it's already issued: you simply* show up with a passport and they hand it over to you.

*Where 'simply' refers to the lack of additional paperwork or other substantial steps. It does not exclude, of course, the obligatory hour-long wait in line to get a number to sit in a yet longer line. Total wait ~3 hours.

It seems you got your DNI quite a while ago: they changed the procedures quite a bit a few years back. You pay the fee for the DNI at Migraciones, they coordinate with ReNaPer and you get the DNI sent to your home. Only if you miss it, as I did, does the postal company return it to ReNaPer and then you have to go get it at Av. Jujuy. Even then, it's already issued: you simply* show up with a passport and they hand it over to you.

*Where 'simply' refers to the lack of additional paperwork or other substantial steps. It does not exclude, of course, the obligatory hour-long wait in line to get a number to sit in a yet longer line. Total wait ~3 hours.

I did indeed get my DNI many, many years ago. Before there were computers and they had Chinese translators everywhere. I had no idea it had changed so much. Still, if you want to apply for the nuevo ejemplar of a DNI you have to at Registro Nacional de las Personas, but if they're allowing you to apply for one at migraciones that's fantastic. Matas dos pajaros con un tiro.

Back