Restaurant Neighborhoods

NoVegetables

Registered
Hey guys,

I hope i can explain what I'm looking for and that you can guys can help.

I'm looking for areas with lots of restaurant/bars, people and energy.

Places like Plaza Serrano, Calle Baez in Las Cañitas, around the cemetery in Recoleta, or by the river in Puerto Madero.

These places have a lot of places to have dinner or get a drink and also usually have a good amount of people at night time.

Where are the other places that have that kind of dense collection of dining and drinking establishments and a lot of movement? Doesn't matter the neighborhood as long as its in capital.

San Telmo i've been told many times has a great collection of bars and restaurants. But after walking around san telmo at night a few times i could not find the energy i was looking for, maybe i was on the wrong streets. If I was, let me know where i should be looking.

Thanks a lot guys.

Recoleta round the Village shopping and cemetary

I've always thought this area very bad for dining - nothing much more than fast-food franchises. I would recommend Palermo just south of the zoo, in the area bounded by República de la India, Avenida Las Heras, Jerónimo Salguero and Avenida del Libertador.

My little contribution to the excellent suggestions already offered by more knowledgeable expats - Armenia, for several blocks north and at least a bit south of Gorriti, plus almost the whole area within 2 blocks of that intersection. There are more restaurants and restaurants than you can shake a stick at. If you come to expat gatherings you'll be introduced to many of those. Specifically worth mentioning are Ninia Bakery, Boulangerie Cocu, and (a bit further west on Thames) Libros de Pasaje and Magdalena's Party. I can praise all 4 of those from first hand experience.

Great suggestions guys. Any areas outside of Palermo?

Belgano, in and around Chinatown (which is not exclusively Chinese in terms of gastronomy). There's also Pura Tierra (http://www.puratierra.com.ar/), which I think is one of the best in the country, and superb ice cream at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Helader%C3%ADa-Gruta/110130495707855

For San Telmo:
if you want seating outside and lots of energy you can go to the Calle Chile between Balcarce and Defensa. Lots of options, I recommend lo de Carlitos for creppes and a surprising selection of healthy fare. There are some nightclubs and other restaurants along Balcarce. If you walk up to Chile y Bolivar you have the famous café LA POESIA.
the other area is the plaza dorrego (aka plaza defensa) great atmosphere, live music but maybe a bit touristy. (I walk by but never sit down, a bit expensive for what it is).
Brasil between defensa and balcace has some great restaurants, I highly recommend Lezama.
However, in San Telmo you will find great bars and places to eat, but they are scattered around and many have entrances that are very "blah" and you need to know them, and it also has many old cafes and parillas.

For San Telmo:
if you want seating outside and lots of energy you can go to the Calle Chile between Balcarce and Defensa. Lots of options, I recommend lo de Carlitos for creppes and a surprising selection of healthy fare. There are some nightclubs and other restaurants along Balcarce. If you walk up to Chile y Bolivar you have the famous café LA POESIA.
the other area is the plaza dorrego (aka plaza defensa) great atmosphere, live music but maybe a bit touristy. (I walk by but never sit down, a bit expensive for what it is).
Brasil between defensa and balcace has some great restaurants, I highly recommend Lezama.
However, in San Telmo you will find great bars and places to eat, but they are scattered around and many have entrances that are very "blah" and you need to know them, and it also has many old cafes and parillas.

I like the tapas at http://www.sagardi.com.ar/

I agree with Montauk_Project about San Telmo. It has great restaurants and great bars for much better prices than you'll get in other neighborhoods with its own special vibe, but even though it's a small barrio, things are more spread out and there aren't as many places with terrazas/tons of tables outside. I'm partial to Cafe Rivas at Estados Unidos y Balcarce. Gorgeous space, great food, great service and live music certain nights. I've done everything from birthdays to date nights to morning work sessions with my laptop there (they leave the door locked and buzz people in). Territorio at Estados Unidos y Bolívar has great picadas including a vegetarian one, and a good wine/beer selection (some Antares brews on tap). As for bars, Puerta Roja and Gibraltar aren't bad places to start and always have long lines to get in on weekends for a reason. For visual crowds though, go where Montauk told you to.

Back