Restaurants new law: obligatory tip up to 18%

There are plenty of

There are plenty of dining options for every wallet. This is not about only the elite getting to dine out, but you shouldn't expect to be able to go to don Julio and get a lomo and then not have enough to tip. That's rude and disrespectful to the worker. Also, I didn't say peole who tip less got shit service, I said extra attention was given to those perceived to tip well. If someone is clearly well dressed and lends an air of superiority they get lumped into the category of the ten percenters, because wealthy people tend to tip less. I didn't buy into giving everyone the same service since some clearly valued my services more than others, and the waiter profession, especially in the USA, is about maximizing earning potential. Remember, I was expected to claim a minimum of 8% of my tips for income taxes. I claimed all of my tips because I heard horror stories of waiters who didn't claim all of their tips and were either audited and fined by the IRS or when it came time to retire their Social Security payments were nothing since they are based on past earning, just like in Argentina. Additionally I had to tip out the bartender, busboy and hostess. Often I had to pay out of my pocket to wait on these people who didn't tip properly.I was not providing a social service. There are government agencies and charities for that.
I was in the same industry for ten years, so I'm familiar with how it operates. From fine dining to fast casual. You and I differ a little in our thought process and that should be ok? I didn't care if people came in and couldn't tip a full 20% or more, and I didn't care to guess based on their look or accent how much they'd tip. Everyone that sat in my section got the same service. It was my job and it all evened out, in the end. I was more than able to survive on my tiny base pay and tips. Some nights, better than others. I also had to tip out bar, bus service and hostess. My job was to serve everyone who walked in and ensure they had a great experience.

We chose to work in an industry where our livelihood was based on the charity of the people we waited on, in a sense, right? So,saying you aren't providing a social service while relying on customers to provide you one doesn't track. I believe owners should be responsible for their employees earning a living wage, but most servers would hate that because most often that'd mean they'd make less money. There aren't actually great dining out options for every wallet. Fast food shouldn't count and is also out of control (price wise) lately. Hole-in-the-wall diners may be the last bastion of 'affordable' and they're dwindling also.

It's ok that you don't agree with me but I worked in the same field, worked hard and had amazing regulars who ran the gamut from poor tippers to great tippers. I liked them all the same. I know how demanding the job is but I believe most people tip what they can and often overtip, so waiting on a table of bad tippers once and awhile isn't going to break the bank and it could afford someone who doesn't get that experience much, a really great memory.

Now, if they throw a dollar of spare change my way on a $100 tab, that's a different animal. If they're rude and demanding and leave a couple bucks, terrible. But, tipping a percentage that they're accustomed to or are able to, that's fine as far as I'm concerned. I get where you're coming from but I'm seeing a lot of people being pushed out of things they used to be able to enjoy. Inflation, excessive tip demands (upwards of 30% I' ve seen asked in the U.S. lately).

At some point the business has got to start meeting the employees needs as much as the consumer. Maybe that starts with regulations that allow some red tape to be lifted, so their overall costs are lowered and that budget moves to labor costs, who knows? I do know restaurant owners in the States that pay their staff a very high minimum wage and cut out tips all together while remaining fairly affordable to their communities and they retain more of their employees and customers, they're thriving. I think there needs to be a new model at some juncture.

That was the basis of my comment. Not to shun you for not agreeing. I just remember co-workers judging people so harshly and refusing to wait on certain tables that I'd gladly take and we'd all walk out with roughly the same amount after our shift. So, who knows. Maybe I was running a charity all those years, but I loved the job and had a really great time doing it.

When a dining experience becomes controlled and expensive it becomes a burden Tipping should be from the heart for good service recieved. To make this a obligation will turn off 30 percent of diners and they will not frequent restaurantes anymore . To make this law is completlely against free choice and liberty . just one more example of the contradictive government

I was also in the service industry and never treated customers worse if there was an inkling they might not tip well, but had many coworkers who did and it made me kind of sick. The customers that tip well balanced it all out and it was my job to provide great service to all, regardless of their ability to leave substantial tips. I had many regular customers who were older, who just wouldn't know to tip that much and they were on fixed income, etc... how lousy would it be to give them shit service on account of that?

I hate that some service industry jobs depend on tips, because it means that dining out becomes a luxury and those who don't have enough to lump 20% tip (or more, now) onto their bill just aren't supposed to be able enjoy that experience. I don't know, it's a weird custom.

I wish a spoilt life was accessible to everyone, not just those who make a load of money and can tip their servers more than others. Personally, I tip above average because the work isn't always paid well and I appreciate the experience, but I'm also able to. When I'm not able, I cook at home but I do feel that tip culture sets one large chunk of society up to be excluded from the simple pleasures in life that should be available to everyone. Having a nice meal out, cooked by someone else, with people you care about or in your own humble company.

The 'market' seems to want to create a society where the 'haves' will be the only ones with access to everything (travel, dining out, theater, live music, a night out) and the growing number of have-nots (pushed into having nothing by poor policy choices by governments and businesses) will be lined up and shoved into a hobble somewhere, out of sight so the elite don't have to look at us. Seems strange this is acceptable to anyone but 'it's just the way it is,' I hear them repeat with gusto.
There are plenty of

I enjoyed your Manifesto on equality. Servers at a Burger places don't have access to a spoilt life style. As you mention It's just the way it is.

Last edited:
When a dining experience becomes controlled and expensive it becomes a burden Tipping should be from the heart for good service recieved. To make this a obligation will turn off 30 percent of diners and they will not frequent restaurantes anymore . To make this law is completlely against free choice and liberty . just one more example of the contradictive government
Why do you keep saying that it's an obligation?

More likely they will fix the credit card machines and the phone payment apps to allow for leaving a tip. Not a mandated tip
Stutznegger ? already said it's a change on the software to allow for voluntary tips. Not compulsory

Even though I would never have to pay such a tax if it a was ever imposed and actually became obligatory, I'm happy that it does not yet exist. It would be a step in the wrong direction.

That being said, the app sounds like a great idea, if it insures the servers get the money.

Last edited:
Why do you keep saying that it's an obligation?
The article says: "El gobierno nacional evalúa la posibilidad de implementar una propina obligatoria en establecimientos gastronómicos incluida en la cuenta final del consumidor, lo cual "mejoraría los salarios" de mozos de bares y restaurantes."

Back