Restaurants new law: obligatory tip up to 18%

Even though I would never have to pay such a tax if it a was ever imposed and actually became obligatory, I'm happy that it does not yet exist. It would be a step in the wrong direction.

That being said, the app sounds like a great idea, if it insures the servers get the money.
if it insures the servers get the money.

IF

Who gets the extra %? The owners as compensation for having to pay the credit card company? This replaces tipping?
They add the waiter's tip on the bill when they run your card (I think it is 10%, not sure). But as a non Uruguayan resident, at the same time, when you use a foreign card you also get a discount % for using foreign credit cards (tourism incentive).

Exactly.

Obligatory tip will make the already shit service in BA even worse if there is no incentive for the mozos to earn it.
Once upon a time Buenos Aires was famous for its excellent service where waitstaff were cordial and very correct . Since 2010 things changed drastically and now its common to be served by a apathetic server that never is there when you want them . The old tradition of waitstaff in the capital was the pride of the americas with their crisp outfits and impecabble manners . Nowadays its the polar opposite with many waitstaff having the attitude of hating their job and serving people . Wages are very low these days and this of course has a effect on the morale . I believe a waitstaff should earn well as its a demanding job . I am not at all against tipping and believe its respectful for good service . I am against these type of laws as clearly its not beneficial for the restaurants and as stated before most of the money will not go the server . This is the case already in one very well known parilla internationally known as the best in the world where wait staff get over 50 dollars a night in tips . The issue is that the owner does not allow them to keep the tips and he just pays them a above minimum wage and food . This is not right at all as in this restaurant they would be pocketing 1000 dollars a month extra if the tips where allowed for them .

The article says: "El gobierno nacional evalúa la posibilidad de implementar una propina obligatoria en establecimientos gastronómicos incluida en la cuenta final del consumidor, lo cual "mejoraría los salarios" de mozos de bares y restaurantes."
And what does that have to do with what the government says that they're actually going to do?

Exactly.

Obligatory tip will make the already shit service in BA even worse if there is no incentive for the mozos to earn it.
I never got shit service in Argentina. It's not the turn and burn service people are used to on some cultures, but we were always treated courteously and professionally. The customer's attitude does affect service, though.

It's a terrible idea and will create much less business for this sector . If the service is good a tip is always left but now we are forced to give this to the owners as it's on the bill . What guarantees that the waitstaff Will recieve it now as most pay the final Bill by creditcards ?
Exactly Perry. Who controls the tip jar at the end of the day?

When there is good service I always ask if the tip is pooled amongst the employees or whether it is the sole property of the mozo/a. If it is pooled, I leave less. If not, I always leave more. In my most frequented restaurant, I recently gave the moza a $100 bill because she is struggling financially, and because she has a long commute and a difficult schedule. She always has a genuine smile on her face and sincerely kind words for me. She always makes a bad day better.

On the other hand, I have no problem leaving just 1,000 pesos for a surly waiter or poor service. It's how the world works: You take care of me and I take care of you.

If you patronize certain restaurants and want good service, there is no better way to show your appreciation for good service and personal respect for the server than by tipping well.

And if you don't want to wait in line, tip the maître d'hôtel or the receptionist. It's as simple as that. Because at the end of the day, these folks are just trying to stay afloat financially and take care of their families.

Back