Restaurants new law: obligatory tip up to 18%

In Uruguay, a percentage is added automatically to the bill when you pay with a card.

In Uruguay, a percentage is added automatically to the bill when you pay with a card.
Who gets the extra %? The owners as compensation for having to pay the credit card company? This replaces tipping?

This is DEregulation?
No, it's not, and I'm for deregulation, but in this case, where rapidly changing technology has provided convenient (although perhaps occasionally legitimate) excuses for screwing the waitstaff, it seems reasonable.

As I understand it, it's just a mechanism to be able to leave a tip electronically while paying your bill, along with the necessary protections so that the worker actually gets the tip and the business isn't taxed for it. I have a hard time finding something very wrong with that.

Mandatory tipping can result in bad waiter service.
Regularly tipping 10% usually results in indifferent service. This is why when a waiter hears someone speaking English their attention level goes up, since yanquis are known to be better tippers. The opposite is true in the USA. When a waiter hears a foreign accent they assume (for the most part, rightly so) the tip will be substandard, and the service will reflect the reality. You get what you pay for. It doesn't get more free market than this. My two centavos as a former waiter.

Regularly tipping 10% usually results in indifferent service. This is why when a waiter hears someone speaking English their attention level goes up, since yanquis are known to be better tippers. The opposite is true in the USA. When a waiter hears a foreign accent they assume (for the most part, rightly so) the tip will be substandard, and the service will reflect the reality. You get what you pay for. It doesn't get more free market than this. My two centavos as a former waiter.
I was also in the service industry and never treated customers worse if there was an inkling they might not tip well, but had many coworkers who did and it made me kind of sick. The customers that tip well balanced it all out and it was my job to provide great service to all, regardless of their ability to leave substantial tips. I had many regular customers who were older, who just wouldn't know to tip that much and they were on fixed income, etc... how lousy would it be to give them shit service on account of that?

I hate that some service industry jobs depend on tips, because it means that dining out becomes a luxury and those who don't have enough to lump 20% tip (or more, now) onto their bill just aren't supposed to be able enjoy that experience. I don't know, it's a weird custom.

I wish a spoilt life was accessible to everyone, not just those who make a load of money and can tip their servers more than others. Personally, I tip above average because the work isn't always paid well and I appreciate the experience, but I'm also able to. When I'm not able, I cook at home but I do feel that tip culture sets one large chunk of society up to be excluded from the simple pleasures in life that should be available to everyone. Having a nice meal out, cooked by someone else, with people you care about or in your own humble company.

The 'market' seems to want to create a society where the 'haves' will be the only ones with access to everything (travel, dining out, theater, live music, a night out) and the growing number of have-nots (pushed into having nothing by poor policy choices by governments and businesses) will be lined up and shoved into a hobble somewhere, out of sight so the elite don't have to look at us. Seems strange this is acceptable to anyone but 'it's just the way it is,' I hear them repeat with gusto.

There are plenty of
I was also in the service industry and never treated customers worse if there was an inkling they might not tip well, but had many coworkers who did and it made me kind of sick. The customers that tip well balanced it all out and it was my job to provide great service to all, regardless of their ability to leave substantial tips. I had many regular customers who were older, who just wouldn't know to tip that much and they were on fixed income, etc... how lousy would it be to give them shit service on account of that?

I hate that some service industry jobs depend on tips, because it means that dining out becomes a luxury and those who don't have enough to lump 20% tip (or more, now) onto their bill just aren't supposed to be able enjoy that experience. I don't know, it's a weird custom.

I wish a spoilt life was accessible to everyone, not just those who make a load of money and can tip their servers more than others. Personally, I tip above average because the work isn't always paid well and I appreciate the experience, but I'm also able to. When I'm not able, I cook at home but I do feel that tip culture sets one large chunk of society up to be excluded from the simple pleasures in life that should be available to everyone. Having a nice meal out, cooked by someone else, with people you care about or in your own humble company.

The 'market' seems to want to create a society where the 'haves' will be the only ones with access to everything (travel, dining out, theater, live music, a night out) and the growing number of have-nots (pushed into having nothing by poor policy choices by governments and businesses) will be lined up and shoved into a hobble somewhere, out of sight so the elite don't have to look at us. Seems strange this is acceptable to anyone but 'it's just the way it is,' I hear them repeat with gusto.
There are plenty of dining options for every wallet. This is not about only the elite getting to dine out, but you shouldn't expect to be able to go to don Julio and get a lomo and then not have enough to tip. That's rude and disrespectful to the worker. Also, I didn't say peole who tip less got shit service, I said extra attention was given to those perceived to tip well. If someone is clearly well dressed and lends an air of superiority they get lumped into the category of the ten percenters, because wealthy people tend to tip less. I didn't buy into giving everyone the same service since some clearly valued my services more than others, and the waiter profession, especially in the USA, is about maximizing earning potential. Remember, I was expected to claim a minimum of 8% of my tips for income taxes. I claimed all of my tips because I heard horror stories of waiters who didn't claim all of their tips and were either audited and fined by the IRS or when it came time to retire their Social Security payments were nothing since they are based on past earning, just like in Argentina. Additionally I had to tip out the bartender, busboy and hostess. Often I had to pay out of my pocket to wait on these people who didn't tip properly.I was not providing a social service. There are government agencies and charities for that.

It makes little sense to compare the waiters and the quality of service from one country to another..!
As well as can't compare the service within CABA to the provinces, moreover the service in CABA at Ritzi places (Alvear) can't be compared to bodegones at La Boca,or mercado San Telmo.

I rate the service if a waiter delivers what I ordered not asking.. was it puree or Fries?
Also if the meat is medium as ordered. It's not the waiters fault if it's overcooked ..?
I can't think of what Good service is? It's always the same Average. Bad service would be? mixing up the order, ruining the meat, charge for extras not ordered? Some of these problems are generated in the kitchen or the cashier.. poor waiter

Back