Restrictions on imported foods and human rights

High duties are one thing, but making goods unimportable (or restricted to excruciatingly small quotas), rendering them unavailable at any price, is over the top.

Cb Photo ,I agree but what I mentioned is standard kid´s fare in the UK.If you want to avoid cooking from scratch you do not have much choice,not even in the UK . Supermarkest might sell you a frozen dish that will give your kids the extra calcium or whatnot but also a dose of extra salt they don´t need.Carverfan is looking for convenient foods.All I was trying to say is that kids will eat if the presentation is different .
I am used to kids having the same food that is cooked for the grown ups maybe slightly adapted to train their palate.

I would definitely consider them but would a three year old ?Salads might be a hard sell if they get bored easily for example.Shepherds pie /Bolognese can be made with a lot of hidden vegetables. It was not meant to be a complete diet recommendation. I will edit for the sake of the children as it is obviously easy to misunderstand.

starlucia said:
Honestly, it's a valid complaint, and a big part of the reason why I just cancelled my return flight to BA (originally scheduled for April, after a 3-month respite in civilization.) Finally being well-fed again (and still solvent) made me realize how much my spartan Argentine diet was affecting my mood -- life's too short to be unable to buy a damn chocolate bar or pick up some Thai for dinner. Eating well is one of the most basic pleasures in life, and BA is already a struggle on so many levels that taking away the ability to find/afford good food just adds insult to injury. And I'm not even being high-maintenance here; I'm talking about basic essentials such as good-quality coffee, dark chocolate, non-GMO soy or hormone-free dairy, seafood, olive oil, good bread. As prices crept higher and higher, I got crankier and crankier (and hungrier and hungrier), cutting things out of my diet until I was basically living on toast, lentils, brown rice, and whatever was cheapest at the verduleria that week. Now 250 grams of Italian coffee runs me about 3 euro, 200 grams of dark Belgian chocolate (with whole nuts) is less than 2, I can actually afford almonds again (imported from USA, and they still cost less than HALF than in BA) and I'm blissfully swimming in cheese from every country in Europe. When I think about what Argentines and all of you lovely people are forced to pay for the same simple pleasures, it's just... flames. Flames, on the side of my face...

You have an interesting idea of what constitutes "basic essentials", and I agree, consequently, that BA may not be the place for you.

starlucia said:
Honestly, it's a valid complaint, and a big part of the reason why I just cancelled my return flight to BA (originally scheduled for April, after a 3-month respite in civilization.) Finally being well-fed again (and still solvent) made me realize how much my spartan Argentine diet was affecting my mood -- life's too short to be unable to buy a damn chocolate bar or pick up some Thai for dinner. Eating well is one of the most basic pleasures in life, and BA is already a struggle on so many levels that taking away the ability to find/afford good food just adds insult to injury. And I'm not even being high-maintenance here; I'm talking about basic essentials such as good-quality coffee, dark chocolate, non-GMO soy or hormone-free dairy, seafood, olive oil, good bread. As prices crept higher and higher, I got crankier and crankier (and hungrier and hungrier), cutting things out of my diet until I was basically living on toast, lentils, brown rice, and whatever was cheapest at the verduleria that week. Now 250 grams of Italian coffee runs me about 3 euro, 200 grams of dark Belgian chocolate (with whole nuts) is less than 2, I can actually afford almonds again (imported from USA, and they still cost less than HALF than in BA) and I'm blissfully swimming in cheese from every country in Europe. When I think about what Argentines and all of you lovely people are forced to pay for the same simple pleasures, it's just... flames. Flames, on the side of my face...
Sorry --- but it wasn't til now that I read this post and saw the "flames on the side of my face" reference. That made my day!

CarverFan said:
As a British jew, marmite and matzo are part of my culture. Surely preventing imports of foods pertaining to different cultures goes against human rights. Isn't there an Argentine ley that could be cited against this type of racially-directed ban?
As a side-note, how come the Chinese are still importing??

you're not making any sense. is it against human rights if I can't get prepared milanesas the way my butcher makes them because they're part of my culture?

Back