Retirement in Buenos Aires

Moving from Toronto (Canada) to Bueno Aires?

I will embrace basic Spanish and enjoy the vibrancy in Bueno Aires!
I will laugh at my rudimentary Spanish to start off but I want to enjoy my life in
Argentina

Moving from Toronto (Canada) to Bueno Aires?

I will embrace basic Spanish and enjoy the vibrancy in Bueno Aires!
I will laugh at my rudimentary Spanish to start off but I want to enjoy my life in
Argentina
THIS. No one can tell you that you can't get by without Spanish. You can. It just won't be as rewarding to you, especially if you're living there over the long term. But I have come across lazy Americans/Canadians/British "perma-tourists" that never have taken the time to really learn anything at all. This is a shame to me and never the sort of people that I ever wanted to even have a coffee with.

I'd meet them at parties or dinners and when they would say they lived in Argentina for X years and can't say basic things, I'd have no desire to exchange contact info or meet them because to me, that meant they didn't have a basic respect for Argentina or themselves.

Exactly

I could start to learn the basic words and I will never assume that the world speaks English only
It is a very good way to meet other people in BA by way of Hey I am in Grade 1 class and we will start the
ABC It would be a fun class so to speak!

So if I could speak an additional word each day it will be a major accomplishment for me
And it would help me overcome any loneliness and (depression?)

I'd meet them at parties or dinners and when they would say they lived in Argentina for X years and can't say basic things, I'd have no desire to exchange contact info or meet them because to me, that meant they didn't have a basic respect for Argentina or themselves.
Totally agree. You have been endowed with the one and only world language, don't think however t

Sorry, adding the second part:
don't think however that everybody is supposed to speak it. Please be brave and learn the language of the country that is hosting you.

I am speaking for myself only
Many a time I have hesitated to learn something new due to a lack of
confidence and support A "people will laugh at me" mentality

Hey I will ask the Argentine shop owner to correct the pronunciation of that word or sentence
and I will laugh with him If I were to do it in this way Then I will remember how
to pronounce it It will be a no-charge request from me anyway!

As a future retiree I will have plenty of time to attend a beginners class
It will be a fun activity to learn Spanish or mindset will deteriorate and slowly
lead me to depression

Moving to Canada was an easy as ABC because I could communicate in English
But I will be willing to take up the challenge because I want to enjoy my third life in Argentina

I am speaking for myself only
Many a time I have hesitated to learn something new due to a lack of
confidence and support A "people will laugh at me" mentality

Hey I will ask the Argentine shop owner to correct the pronunciation of that word or sentence
and I will laugh with him If I were to do it in this way Then I will remember how
to pronounce it It will be a no-charge request from me anyway!

As a future retiree I will have plenty of time to attend a beginners class
It will be a fun activity to learn Spanish or mindset will deteriorate and slowly
lead me to depression

Moving to Canada was an easy as ABC because I could communicate in English
But I will be willing to take up the challenge because I want to enjoy my third life in Argentina
Only One Word of Advise: learn How to communicate in Spanish. Vocabulary as well as Grammar are great . But Phonetics and vocalizing are KEY factors. Many Anglos I met, after years of studying Spanish, failed to pronounce the Spanish alphabet from A to Z ....!

Back