retirement salary

steveinbsas said:
If you have the resources and desire to buy an apartment, you can do so at anytime (even with just the tourist visa), but... ...It is also very important to have the residency and DNI when selling property here.

I met with an escribano yesterday who informed me that a DNI is now required to buy property here. If this is indeed the case, it would no doubt have (perhaps already has had) a negative effect on sales. If any of the real estate pros who regularly post here have more info I hope they'll share it.

Wow, if that's true about the DNI, I just don't know what to say. I can never get over how much the government here loves to shoot itself in the foot just as they start to profit from something -- so now they're going to charge the tourists for their entry, in a year where they will se tourism numbers go down AND they're going to put in yet another hurdle for any of said foreigners that may come down and decide to buy?? At a time when foreigners may end up being the only ones that want to buy anything over 100k. My god, sometimes you just don't know whether to sit back and laugh or just keep banging your head against the wall here...

Reactions: RWS
steveinbsas said:
I met with an escribano yesterday who informed me that a DNI is now required to buy property here. If this is indeed the case, it would no doubt have (perhaps already has had) a negative effect on sales. If any of the real estate pros who regularly post here have more info I hope they'll share it.

Unless this has happenend in the last two months, then it is absolute rubbish.
I have just bought a property: I was informed I needed DNI CUIT and CDI, in the end all I needed was CDI.
After a mad day visiting the AFIP rushing around, they saw my CDI and said "Si es bueno"
The only thing that had any consistency throughout my whole experience was the complete lack of knowledge of the Argentine Property Profesionals.
Seek the advice of an expat property profesional, they at least have taken the trouble to find out what the law entails.

One more thing, back to the thread;

After the escribano, builders and taxman had robbed me blind, :mad: I was left with little money, but I managed to still go out dancing every night (no point in me being there otherwise), Eat out regularly get a taxi home every night and have a house warming party.
So how much for my wife and I? 150 pesos a day. that is less than$50 or
$1500 a month. Of course you must factor in housing costs as I have now bought mine, but I think the $5500 you would have left will go an awful long way.

tangobob said:
Unless this has happenend in the last two months, then it is absolute rubbish.
I have just bought a property: I was informed I needed DNI CUIT and CDI, in the end all I needed was CDI.
After a mad day visiting the AFIP rushing around, they saw my CDI and said "Si es bueno"
The only thing that had any consistency throughout my whole experience was the complete lack of knowledge of the Argentine Property Profesionals.
Seek the advice of an expat property profesional, they at least have taken the trouble to find out what the law entails.

Few here know the truth but everyone has an answer!

Originally Posted by steveinbsas

This is bullshit Steve and once again shows the utter incompetence of some escribanos in the Capital Federal

A CDI is all you require to buy here. In regards to escribanos make sure that you agree to a fixed rate before you contract their services . Some of put up their rates of late and are charging outrageous fees.
There are a few escribanos that I recommend who charge a fair rate of less than 2 percent for the transaction.

tangobob said:
One more thing, back to the thread;

After the escribano, builders and taxman had robbed me blind, :mad: I was left with little money, but I managed to still go out dancing every night (no point in me being there otherwise), Eat out regularly get a taxi home every night and have a house warming party.
So how much for my wife and I? 150 pesos a day. that is less than$50 or
$1500 a month. Of course you must factor in housing costs as I have now bought mine, but I think the $5500 you would have left will go an awful long way.
Fourquestions:

You were charged more for the apartment than the original contract?

You had to pay on the purchase?

Were the escribano's fees unknown to you when you "bought" the apartment...or higher than quoted?

Do you know if only the buyer pays the escribano a fee or does the seller also pay?

syngirl said:
At a time when foreigners may end up being the only ones that want to buy anything over 100k.

maybe the government wants to stall the market??? (at the purpose of the locals in the market, it is after all their market)

A DNI to buy a property would make sense if it is required to sell a property. (In Spain a 'Numero Identificado Extranjero' is required and a prohibition on sale for 3 years unless you accept a specualtors tax of 36% on top of normal fees)

But my question is - if you have to have a DNI to buy then what category would you request it? rentista? business/financier? or 'the love of tango'? (which would need to exist for most tourists who have bought here)

Fishface said:
But my question is - if you have to have a DNI to buy then what category would you request it? rentista? business/financier? or 'the love of tango'? (which would need to exist for most tourists who have bought here)

I think pericles knows what he is talking about. If he doesn't who would?

A DNI is issued to all foreigners with valid resident visas, regardless of category. Unfortunately, 'love of tango' has yet to be sufficient grounds for legal residency.

Apparently a few escribanos don't know that the CDI is sufficient as most have probably never been involved in a property purchase involving a foreigner.

I still have the strong impression that it is "important" to have the DNI when selling...but I am not a real estate professional and dare not attempt to explain exactly why this is the case.

You do not need a DNI when selling
You must have a good accountant that will prepare all your taxes before the sale. The system overall is more efficient than many european couuntries as long as you have the right people.

Back