Retiring in the US and moving back to Buenos Aires: need contador!!

gustavomoretto

Registered
Thanks again Alby.
I am an Argentine citizen and the government won't have it any other way even if I'm a US citizen as well.

Would a trip to a neighbor country, say Uruguay, work for a renewal of the 180 days, or that is too good to be true...?
I guess a retiree would not be treated any different than a working expat...right?

It's just very hard to process that I might not be able to return to my country!

gustavomoretto

Registered
The answer is, in brief, that the tax in question (Bienes Personales) only became a problem for expats (and Argentines) with overseas assets exactly 12 months ago, when the current government changed the rules (by closing a loophole that had allowed people to set their domicile as the country in which the assets were located). So the problem is a new one. One way to manage it is to stay in Argentina no more than 180 days in each calendar/fiscal year.

Thanks again Alby.
I am an Argentine citizen and the government won't have it any other way even if I'm a US citizen as well.

Would a trip to a neighbor country, say Uruguay, work for a renewal of the 180 days, or that is too good to be true...?
I guess a retiree would not be treated any different than a working expat...right?

It's just very hard to process that I might not be able to return to my country!

garryl

Registered
Leave all your asset in US, you really do not need an accountant in Argentina, never mix it with 2 countries.
You can live nicely with your money outside Argentina. When you just marry someone, you do not just mix your money
with your fiance ? (unless she has a lot more and is willing to mix hers with yours). Why tie yourself so much, not knowing
if you like it in AR. I do think you have a lot more chances to meet some Argentine ladies (at Tango classes).

Alby

Registered
Thanks again Alby.

You can live in Uruguay (or the US) for half the year then avoid the bienes personales and probably any other taxes that your accountant could tell you about. I just wanted to alert to the fact that as you suspect, the tax issues are massive and this bienes personales is a particularly nasty one. Don't try and solve it here. There is no easy way around it. Find your accountant, and discuss the strategies with him or her. But my advice is don't get too emotionally invested in this idea yet. Find out about the tax issues. They are major, and you are right to be looking for a good accountant.

bdk1

Registered
I strongly recommend Estudio Mintzer in Palermo (Av. Medrano 1970, +54 11 4821-8910, I can't find their email right now). They have a great team that has been dealing for decades with cases like yours, international clients, etc. They are also very communicative and reply to emails and calls very quickly. They are on the expensive side (for Argentinean standards), but engaging them will probably potentially not just save you money but lots of headaches.

gracielle

Registered
Hi everybody!
I'm an Argentinian college professor teaching at CUNY (NYC) and I've lived in the US for 32 years. I am planning on retiring this coming year and going back to Buenos Aires.I need help with an accountant in order to know how to manage my US retirement money in Argentina.
Hi gustavomoretto,
Thread on this forum re: