Retiring To Buenos Aires - Help

cavallini_lucia

Registered
Boy am I glad I found this site. I'll be retiring to Argentina very soon. I have retired a while ago and am currently collecting my Social Security. My retirement benefits are directly deposited to a US account. I did research and the SSA does not currently direct deposit to Argentine national banks. I was wondering if any expats in this forum are retired and collecting SSA benefits. If so, what is the best way to get your benefits over there and not lose so much in fees and exchange rate loss.

Thanks!!

Do not have it deposited into an AR account. It is possable to do so. But do not, ever, never. If the best you do is a rentista visa you may have a hard time avoiding a local account [I'm not sure on this one anymore]. Bring cash, use zoom, make friends with a blue money banker, go to Uruguay. If retiring means buying a house, you need to ask some additional questions. Live here first. Buy later.

Thanks everyone!! I'm originally from Argentina, but have been in the states about 40+ years. I know it will be tough, and definitely know to avoid having an account there is the best I can do. I'll look into Xoom and see how much I will lose for each transfer. I am sure I cannot collect my Xoom transfer in Argentina in dollars, right? I'll also look into the blue banker.

I suggest that you find out if your social security "income" will be subject to taxation in Argentina before you proceed.

Thanks everyone!! I'm originally from Argentina, but have been in the states about 40+ years. I know it will be tough, and definitely know to avoid having an account there is the best I can do. I'll look into Xoom and see how much I will lose for each transfer. I am sure I cannot collect my Xoom transfer in Argentina in dollars, right? I'll also look into the blue banker.
Right but they'll give you something fairly close to the blue rate, so it's almost as good..

Just have the SSA $$$ deposited into your US Bank accnt.
Then trans. to xoom. That's what I do.
www.xoom.com

You pick up the $$ from the xoom office in BA.

1) Open 2 or 3 bank accounts in the USA
2) Have your SS check deposited in one of them
3) Tranfer some money monthly to all accounts
4) Go to Colonia once a month or every 2 months and get 900 USD per account per day (using the ATM´s). If you stay overnight you can get another 900 USD the next day for each account
5) With all that money you will live like a King here (with the USD at about 10 pesos ea)

1) Open 2 or 3 bank accounts in the USA
2) Have your SS check deposited in one of them
3) Tranfer some money monthly to all accounts
4) Go to Colonia once a month or every 2 months and get 900 USD per account per day (use ATM´s). If you stay overnight you can get another 900 USD the next day for each account
5) With all that money you will live like a King here (with the USD at about 10 pesos ea)

Back