Retiro Station By Night - Safe?

Please make sure you strap an expensive camera around your neck and have your iPhone and iPad on display and flash your wallet with cold US$ large bills .... while you're dragging wife and kids and luggage around the railway tracks and the villa there ..... what do you think ?

YES, it was a silly question.

I remember an expat who posted like 2 years ago here:
he was playing volleyball near Retiro and left his backpack unattended while playing... :D

I think the title should read Argentina By Night - Safe?

All joking aside, the couple times I've had to go to Migrations and pass by that horrid part of town I've
always figured if I was going to be robbed it was going to be there, daylight or not. The best thing would
be to hire a cab, even if it's a KM walk.

Be careful, the whole Retiro area is full of Argentines! So safety can never be assured. :ph34r:

Be careful, the whole Retiro area is full of Argentines! So safety can never be assured. :ph34r:
Wow ..... what is this all about?
As if we all came from Beverly Hills and Malibu beaches, and we never lived or seen downtowns of Detroit or any major American city before in our whole life.

It is so weird and obscene that we want Argentines to be different. Of coarse it is not safe to go to Retiro at 1:00 o'clock in the morning dragging wife, kids and luggage. Absolute nonsense, pardon my French. Would anyone ask this question, doing the same thing in any major American city?

You probably need to be in the French Riviera or Monaco to be able to do such kind a' thing SAFELY.

Sorry you get me going, but this is extreme.

Wow ..... what is this all about?
As if we all came from Beverly Hills and Malibu beaches, and we never lived or seen downtowns of Detroit or any major American city before in our whole life.

It is so weird and obscene that we want Argentines to be different. Of coarse it is not safe to go to Retiro at 1:00 o'clock in the morning dragging wife, kids and luggage. Absolute nonsense, pardon my French. Would anyone ask this question, doing the same thing in any major American city, or any elsewhere in the world over?

Sorry you get me going, but this is extreme.

Perhaps the sarcasm/joke was lost on you, of course it's going to be full of Argentines, we live in Argentina... :rolleyes:

As for other cities I can only speak for myself but I've done this in NYC, Boston, London, Glasgow, Toronto, Vancouver, Edinburgh, Milan, Rome, Berlin, Stockholm, Moscow, etc. without issue. There is a crime problem here which makes the difference. Having been to Detroit several times I'd say it compares to Buenos Aires in the sense that when I do get robbed here for the first time I'd do what I do in Detroit: not go to the police but go home/carry on with my day like everyone else here does since both cities lack a competent police to do anything about it.

Did you really walk near railway tracks and the ghetto at 1:00 o'clock in the morning dragging wife, kids and luggage?
(Police is a completely different topic for another day).
Boy, you travelled and you've seen quite few places ....

Perhaps the sarcasm/joke was lost on you, of course it's going to be full of Argentines, we live in Argentina... :rolleyes:

As for other cities I can only speak for myself but I've done this in NYC, Boston, London, Glasgow, Toronto, Vancouver, Edinburgh, Milan, Rome, Berlin, Stockholm, Moscow, etc. without issue. There is a crime problem here which makes the difference. Having been to Detroit several times I'd say it compares to Buenos Aires in the sense that when I do get robbed here for the first time I'd do what I do in Detroit: not go to the police but go home/carry on with my day like everyone else here does since both cities lack a competent police to do anything about it.

Hey, take it easy on my home city of Detroit!! :)

To be honest, as long as you aren't venturing into the neighborhoods, the worst thing that's going to happen to you in Detroit is getting your car window smashed while it's parked. Luckily it hasn't happened to me yet, but it's a bit of a Detroit rite of passage haha. And like I always told my mom when she would freak out that I was going out in Detroit -- anything can happen to anyone anywhere at any time. It's not like going to Detroit for the night is a death sentence, just as it's not guaranteed that nothing will happen to you in the nicest part of town.

Anyway, governmental issues aside, there's a LOT of good happening in Detroit at the grassroots level, and it's really a great place with lots of interesting and unique things going on all the time, thanks to all the artists and artisans that have moved into the area and made it their own.

Ok, that's the end of my Detroit rant for now :)

Hey, take it easy on my home city of Detroit!! :)

To be honest, as long as you aren't venturing into the neighborhoods, the worst thing that's going to happen to you in Detroit is getting your car window smashed while it's parked. Luckily it hasn't happened to me yet, but it's a bit of a Detroit rite of passage haha. And like I always told my mom when she would freak out that I was going out in Detroit -- anything can happen to anyone anywhere at any time. It's not like going to Detroit for the night is a death sentence, just as it's not guaranteed that nothing will happen to you in the nicest part of town.

Anyway, governmental issues aside, there's a LOT of good happening in Detroit at the grassroots level, and it's really a great place with lots of interesting and unique things going on all the time, thanks to all the artists and artisans that have moved into the area and made it their own.

Ok, that's the end of my Detroit rant for now :)
For you pitipur I retract every word I said on this thread. My sincerest apologies ......., all cool. I remember the good old days crossing the bridge from Windsor. Detroit had its glorious days. What happened to the world?

apology accepted haha! no, i dont blame you though, it's the same thing i hear from everyone, i blame the media anyway.
Thank you pitipur.
I am deeply moved that you accepted my sincerest apologies.
Next time I go home, I will make sure I will drag wife and kids and luggage at 1:00 o'clock in the morning near ghetto and railway tracks, just to prove that it is UNSAFE ONLY in Argentina.

Back