Returning after overstaying visa

Nah at the door they told me that. They never even looked at my passport, just said they're not doing the extensions. Habilitación de salida was available at migraciones though you can also do it at the airports
That’s interesting.

In June this year Migraciones stopped issuing automatic monthly visa extensions for lockdown stranded foreigners, on the ground that immigration offices are again fully operational.

However, these offices won’t issue any visa extensions. I gather from your experience that immigration has suspended the issuing of visa extensions, possibly as long as the restrictions last.

Immigration offices are again fully operational....However, these offices won’t issue any visa extensions.
Unless they resume issuing the 90 day prorrogas de permanencia in the (somewhat near) future, perhaps this is (or will be) how migraciones sends the message, "If you want to stay in Argentina ("legally") for more than 90 days, get the digital nomad visa (when they are available).

Hi everyone, one question: if I overstayed 7 months, paid a fine, and want to return to Argentina after 2 months in another country, can I do it or I need to wait 6 months?

Hi everyone, one question: if I overstayed 7 months, paid a fine, and want to return to Argentina after 2 months in another country, can I do it or I need to wait 6 months?
There are no rules, immigration agents have wide freedom.

Well, true. But there's no law that disallows me to enter if I've been more than 6 months in a year period?
There actually IS a law (decree?) that gives the individual border official the power to deny reentry for anyone who, in their opinion, is "guilty" of abusing the tourist visa (aka a peudo tourist).

An overstay of seven months, followed by an attemped rentry two months later, would be grounds for the denial of reentry if you are unlucky enough to get a border agent who is having a bad day in general and/or is sick of foreigners abusing the tourist visa.

Last edited:
There actually IS a law (decree?) that gives the individual border official the power to deny reentry for anyone who, in their opinion, is "guilty" of abusing the tourist visa (aka a pseudo tourist).

An overstay of seven months, followed by an attemped rentry two months later, would be grounds for the denial of reentry if you are unlucky enough to get a border agent who is having a bad day in general and/or is sick of foreigners abusing the tourist visa.
Indeed. It is decree 616/2010.

So far in practice I have never had trouble at EZE, but whenever I got in via the Rosario airport the agent always said something to the effect why I was coming to Argentina so much and I should do something about my situation and apply for residency. So the last time, I entered via EZE and the agent said "oh you like coming to Argentina a lot" I said yes. He said welcome. I had been out of the country for only two months.

So far in practice I have never had trouble at EZE, but whenever I got in via the Rosario airport the agent always said something to the effect why I was coming to Argentina so much and I should do something about my situation and apply for residency. So the last time, I entered via EZE and the agent said "oh you like coming to Argentina a lot" I said yes. He said welcome. I had been out of the country for only two months.
Did you overstay? One time or more?

Back