Richard Stallman, founder of the FSF, robbed in Argentina

JoeBlow said:
I think it was a chiste.
I don't think it was a joke when it starts out saying something was "offensive". By the way --- I don't have a real position on this issue; I just think all the posturing about it is rather silly.

sleslie23 said:
I hear what you are saying el_ex, but things aren't always so black and white. My experience is that most of the students and professors just want to learn and teach. Sure, some are more left-leaning that what you would find in UCA. Crap, Bob Jones University is probably more left-leaning than UCA.

I've seen most of the things your wife mentioned with my own eyes. (Except the bomb threat. That I experienced several times in high school in the US.) It's also similar to what you would experience in public hospitals. This isn't because students/faculty prefer it to be that way. It's directly related to funding.

Speaking of, some very brilliant, internationally recognized professors at UBA have to take day jobs and/or teach at other universities in order to pay the bills. Yet, they continue to teach at UBA because they like it. They are not communists, nor even radicals. Just people who like sharing knowledge.

Remember UBA is a free (for undergraduates) university. Compare that with the US. I would take less than clean toilets and leaking buildings over 50K+ debt for a B.A. degree.

I went to an in-state undergraduate university in the US for about $5000 per year and paid it all by working while I studied. I graduated with no debt. So it isn't free or 50k debt. You can go to the university in the USA without debt.

I'm sure there are good professors at the UBA and most students are there to learn. But the fact is that the UBA is infiltrated by the communists and they ruin the experience for many people (including Richard Stallman).

el_expatriado said:
But the fact is that the UBA is infiltrated by the communists and they ruin the experience for many people (including Richard Stallman).

Come on, Im still waiting to hear why they ruin the experience. Don't leave me hanging.

el_expatriado said:
I went to an in-state undergraduate university in the US for about $5000 per year and paid it all by working while I studied. I graduated with no debt. So it isn't free or 50k debt. You can go to the university in the USA without debt.

I'm sure there are good professors at the UBA and most students are there to learn. But the fact is that the UBA is infiltrated by the communists and they ruin the experience for many people (including Richard Stallman).

UBA is not "infiltrated by the communists." Again, your rhetoric is from the 1950s. Did you go to Bob Jones University?

Richard Stallman was robbed by a thief. Last I looked, those are everywhere. An acquaintance was just robbed yesterday in a cheto restaurant in Palermo. By your "logic" all the customers and employees of that restaurant are communist thieves.

el_expatriado said:
Thank you.

The people who criticize what I am saying have never been to the UBA and don't know what it is like (with the exception of one person who went there decades ago). I have taken classes at the UBA, my wife and her friends studied at the UBA. I can't tell you how it was 20 years ago, perhaps it was better than today, but I doubt it. They have told me many stories about what the UBA is like.

Today the UBA full of communists, protesters, and students who are way way too old to be there. Again, people don't need to take my word for it. They can go study there if they think it is such a great place. Or they can go see the movie I recommended, which shows it quite clearly. But ask any middle or upper middle class Argentine family where they would rather send their kids... the UBA or San Andres or UCA, for example. NO ONE would send their kids to the UBA unless it was for financial reasons, since the UBA is free.
it is not so plane simple as you may think i don`t know where you went to but going to derecho in libertador is not the same as going to ciencias sociales or ciencias exactas. the atmosphere does change a lot, age of the students, teachers etc.
actually for several careers there is still certain pride in uba.

expatinowncountry said:
I am sorry I took the time to answer your previous comment seriously before reading your comment about El Estudiante. You are just pissing off people here or you are a five years old playing with the computer. Your comment is like saying go an see "bowling for columbine" so you can understand how high schools are in the States.

I agree. "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" is far more accurate :)

sleslie23 said:
UBA is not "infiltrated by the communists." Again, your rhetoric is from the 1950s. Did you go to Bob Jones University?

Richard Stallman was robbed by a thief. Last I looked, those are everywhere. An acquaintance was just robbed yesterday in a cheto restaurant in Palermo. By your "logic" all the customers and employees of that restaurant are communist thieves.

I was robbed two weeks ago in Geneva, Switzerland (yes, there). It was probably an underground communist cell. Oh I forgot, for some people in the States Europeans are all communist.

el_expatriado is just taking the piss out of us, do not take him too seriously.

Back