Roast Potatoes

frio1981

Registered
Hi all

I'm heading over to BA at Christmas and would love to make some English style roast potatoes for my girlfriends' family.

My question is, do any of you make roast potatoes and if so where do you get the potatoes from and what type of potatoes do you use? A white floury potato would be ideal....

Cheers!

You can get potatoes at the supermarket. White flourly ones, and sweet potatoes as well.

40c and hot roast potatoes isn't a nice combo! Not sure they are going to thank you for that.
I don't know, throw them in with the four horsemen of the Christmas culinary apocalypse:
pionono
vitel tone
ensalada rusa
lengua a la vinagreta

and it's really only a little more suffering garnish heaped on top (sorry still jerking).

I don't know, throw them in with the four horsemen of the Christmas culinary apocalypse:
pionono
vitel tone
ensalda rusa
lengua a la vinagreta

and it's really only a little more suffering heaped on top (sorry still jerking).

I am ok with tony, the rest I hate, but thankfully don't seem to factor in the Cavehill Family Christmas Knees Up. Praise be to someone. Anyway, I usually have some christmas whiskey on board for added joviality.

Christas is typically 38-42 degrees and very humid. If you're lucky, Christmas will be outside on a terrace or preferably in someone's garden. Christmas Eve begins around 8pm while the sun is still up and it's roasting hot. Despite this, they still have loads of cooked meat. However sides (including the meat sides, like vitel thone) tend to be all cold. Roast potatoes english style are a lovely idea but probably not the time of year for it! What I did do one year which people enjoyed, but which you definitely need good fridge access as it can't stay out in the heat a moment, is trifle. In fact I've actually thought maybe to make an ice cream trifle one year. Much more appropriate to the weather. Maybe go for an Eton mess. Argentines have a very sweet tooth, and with the heat of Christmas I'd look towards doing either a savory cold dish (they love their 1970s Russian Potato Salad complete with canned peas here, you could try doing an actual modern potato salad and see if it's accepted! Alternative would be an update to that other 70s classic, shredded carrot and raisins salad...) or go for a cold dessert. Do not think English christmas, though they do like a horribly dry fruitcake here as well. Maybe have a look through some Australian recipe sites for some inspiration, their menu will be more weather appropriate!

we have added roast potatoes to the food menu at winter parties but as advised above , its a bit hot for roasts at Xmas and new Year

Back