Robbed by two drug junkies

Hellek

Registered
Anybody expecting anything thrilling here should move on. Nevertheless I think some might find interest in my short story of what happened to me tonight.

At roughly 23:00 I was going home from my salsa classes near the Lanús train station. For the 40th time or something like that. Since I live in Avellaneda, it is quite a good opportunity for me to go there, 15 minutes bus ride. On mondays I go home with remis since I am a bit worried about security but on fridays I go by bus. Felt save because there is much crowd in the streets.

Well, tonight, and ironically the second last time I go to said Salsa classes, I was not so lucky. As always, I took the passage under the train station to go to the other side to take the bus. Unfortunately there wasn't anybody else at the stairs down that passage than a boy and a girl, not exactly healthy looking, but I was not worried (although I did ponder a moment to turn arround, should have trusted my guts). Well, they asked me if I have something (did not understand the word, probably monedas or cigarretes), I said "no" and kept walking when the man slammed me against the wall and shouted "tu celular" (your cell phone), "te mato" (i'll kill you), "tu billetera" (your wallet) and similar. Well, I gave him my cellphone (a roughly 22 month old t-mobile g1, a loss mainly because of my data on it and because i'll spend my last 30 days here without smartphone).

He was probably unarmed but I did not want to try my chances. Anyway, after handing over my phone, he lost balance a second (probably due to being full with drugs), I pushed him and ran (good thing I trained for a 10k run I participated last saturday en mar del plata). His girlfriend was rather passive and probably more focused on whether somebody enters the passage than on me.
They chased me a few meters outside and then gave up. Nobody paid much attention and I was like paralyzed and never shouted for help or the police when I saw that I am loosing them anyway. Then I went to a Pizza stand and asked them for recommendations what I could do. They told me where the train stations police is and I talked to them. They told me they know the couple and it is not the first time they did that, and we went around the station 5-10 minutes trying to find them. They told me I could wait because they surely come back, and then I could alert them again and catch them. I had enough for the night though. I let them show me where the next remiseria is and went home. Got the line suspended, changed my google and facebook passwords and all that **** you need to do after loosing a smartphone.

Police were basically nice and trying to help. I would not describe them as overly motivated though. After a while they told me that if I see the couple again I can alert them, but unless they still have my phone (unlikely) they can't do much due to lack of proof. They asked me if I want to make a denuncia, which I declined after having asked whether this is mandatory or helpful in any way. Police never asked me for my name or an ID.

As I said, nothing too thrilling. Nevertheless, for me the situation was thrilling and 3hs later I still feel like if I had just had 2 cups of coffee and 3 cans of red bull. Most here won't ever think about going to Lanús, even less at night. I am just glad that my health and my further belongings got spared. To many argentine friends such stuff happens more or less frequently. The record holder among them was robbed at gunpoint 3 times and beaten unconcious once. Literally woke up in his underpants. 2010 record holder got liberated of 2 blackberries and a laptop on two separate incidents 2010 (1x Palermo, 1x Lanús). Bottom line is that I am glad that I am fine.

So sorry to hear that dude! I wish I could be there right now...go with you with baseball bats and find these junkies! bash them over the head! brooklyn style...

THIS brings up a question that I would really like to have everyone's perspectives on - what precautions (if any) you take for self-defence/security when you are out and about - and when you are in the home... I know this is a public (viewable) forum so I understand that people may not want to open up too much on this here - but since I will be back down in BA and living there in about 9 days from now I would appreciate general feedback/ideas/etc. Thanks in advance, John.

Hi
Sorry to hear that I was thinking that is not a bad idea to have a spray at hand and throw them to the face.
But leave those guys alone forget them, they have more than enough being junkies, forget this bad moment and go on with your live that is the most important!
greetings
Reina

Yes - I can see that working pretty well - but can't see me carrying a perfume bottle ;)

I'm wondering if you guys can get mace or pepper spray down there legally? That stuff works pretty well - here in Oz one of the best things of all is the good old taser but because of our insane laws civilians can't have them - only the police can...

yeah, my post was tongue in cheek. It's seriously not worth fighting back. The situation described where you've only got one guy who is clearly worse for wear is possibly one time you might get away with it. Far better to leave home with the absolute minimum money and put it down to experience.

If you've ever been given fake 100 bills, collect them and offer those. :D

After the last time I got mugged I bought pepper spray. There is a variety of self defense style things you can get and carry from small containers of pepper spray to collapsable night sticks and beyond. I've known people to carry fake wallets with fake bills in them to hand over just in case.

sorry that this happened to you, Helleck, getting robbed always sucks and leaves you feeling unnerved for quite some time afterward.

Back