safety in BA

steveinbsas said:
Even if this answer is sincere the neighborhood to the west of the "most desirable" areas (Recoleta and Palermo ) is Belgrano and it is also worthy of consideration.

The neighborhood to the east (Retiro) is not so family friendly (or safe).

PS: It might not be a good idea to take advice from anyone here who can't spell neighborhood correctly, doesn't know east from west, or still believes in flower power.

(I was a college student in the late 60's and early 70's and I know what I'm talking about.)

I agree. Recoleta and Palermo are no longer safe neighborhoods. While living in Recoleta my building was robbed several times, the dietetica on the corner was robbed by teenagers on drugs, there are lots of robberies committed by motorcyclists, and Palermo is not much better. Buenos Aires is deceptive. People think the swanky areas are the safest and nothing could be farther from the truth.

As others have said if your company is giving you a good package then by all means come to BsAs. The politics and economics are very interesting and (in my opinion) having an "international experience" for your kids can be a very cool deal.

As far as safety - if you've been mugged then this is a very dangerous place. If you've lived here 20 years and have never even seen so much as a fender-bender then this is a safe city. Give me 2 minutes and I can find you one of each of those people.

flowerpower said:
Another loser crying for being living in ARg... why dont you go back to your homeland right now if you are getting a ugly time here ??...

Please stop hijacking threads with your dribble. Thanks.

I think the OP has probably given up by now. Typical BAX - by the 3rd page it's reduced to personal slanging matches and insult-trading.

We live in Belgrano (right on the edge of Belgrano R), and have two children (5 and 7). I have never felt that my kids were not safe (except when they did foolish things, like stopping to pick something up in the middle of a busy street!), and we've traveled around the city and country a good amount. Generally speaking, people are very protective of children here. However, we are rarely out late at night with kids, and I think I might feel differently if we were.

Also, the economic situation does feel increasingly precarious to me right now, so I would listen carefully to those who are encouraging you to think carefully about how you would be paid, etc.

We have had a great experience - can't believe we're leaving in just a few days! - and my kids have made some wonderful friends through their schools.

Tomdesigns brought up a point that I think is important. Tom mentioned where you come from is a factor. If small town USA where everyone is your neighbor you're going to have to learn to be watchful. I was brought up in Miami. I will visually scan a parking lot when I leave a store without even realizing it. I had many years to develop caution.

My husband grew up in a small town in Michigan. When we moved to Florida I kept telling him he had to be less trusting. There are thieves and criminals here. He just didn't get it. People who always lived in small towns where nothing bad ever happened have a challenge making the adjustment. I could tell you stories. We had several incidents, including loss of a large flatbed trailer, before he finally got it. If that's the case, when you come, people here will give you pointers if you ask. A few instructions will help. I live in Palermo and I feel secure. But I do take normal precautions.

As most have mentioned here, in BA you have your ¨traditionally safer¨ areas of the city such as Recoleta and Palermo, but one thing I'd like to point out is that with BA being so extremely accessible as a city and so pedestrian friendly, ANYBODY (criminals, murderers, etc) can access any part of the city at any time so the ¨safe spot¨ isn't always 100%.

I live in Palermo now and there are some areas here in which I do not feel safe walking late at night and tend to cab it. I used to live in Recoleta, and it was a different story as there are cops on just about every corner (this is not always the case in Palermo, especially in areas such as Palermo Viejo, etc)

seelfamily said:
We'll be paid in pesos but with a bonus in dollars.

So the questions are how big (and secure) is the bonus in dollars vs your salary and how they will update your salary in pesos as inflation is a problem. And if they update it, would they use official inflation rate or the actual one? You need to think carefully about the purchasing power of your package over the medium term as inflation is easily around 20-25% per year.
With the right package Buenos Aires is a great city to spend a few years, people are friendly (in general) and kids are welcomed in most places.

seelfamily said:
We'll be paid in pesos but with a bonus in dollars.

What percentage is your total pay package is the "bonus"? And is it guaranteed? Quite honestly, NO way I'd relocate to Buenos Aires if my salary was in pesos unless they are willing to give you a TRUE inflation based salary increase.

Look at the locals and how most in white are getting 25% to 30% a YEAR raises. Unless your company is going to guarantee to do the same, no way I'd rush to move a family with young children to Buenos Aires now.

Buenos Aires of a few years ago is not the same place as it is now. I would disagree with some that say Buenos Aires is dangerous. And saying Recoleta and Palermo aren't safe borders on the laughable side.

Granted, crime has increased but violent crime is still rare but NO WAY anyone can still try to argue that Buenos Aires is comparable to crime in major USA cities. That certainly isn't the case. Buenos Aires has a LOT more crime and scams.

Unless you are getting some really sweet salary (which doesn't sound like the case especially if they are only paying you in pesos) then I wouldn't move a young family there.

I'm not sure which field you are in but you can definitely make more money in the USA for the most part. Buenos Aires isn't cheap anymore. And the quality of life isn't nearly as high as it once was.

Add into the mix all these restrictions and currency controls and strikes and shortages and import controls and inefficiencies there and red tape and you may seriously regret moving your family there.

I wouldn't say don't move because it is "unsafe" here in Buenos Aires. I'd just say look at the risk/reward of the move. Also, factor in things like health insurance, etc. Typically you will have to buy a policy in Buenos Aires as your USA insurance probably won't cover you for a long term move. And with young kids you definitely want to have coverage in place.

If you have a good medical plan like OSDE or Swiss Medical it's very good but these individual plans aren't cheap. I was paying about the same for my coverage with OSDE as I pay for great coverage with Kaiser Permanente.

Plus, you have to factor in education for your kids. I'm not sure how old they are but most of the schools aren't good there except the private schools which are very expensive. So factor that in as well.

Back