Salads...a Big Problem In Bsars

My mother-in-law told me she washes the salad in water with a drop of bleach (lavandina.) At first I thought she was crazy, since all my mother has ever used is water, but doesn't seem so crazy now.

I don't think I've ever had any issues with produce here... the only time I got food poisoning was from a tiramisu at a restaurant.

There seems to be a huge amount of chlorine in the water in BsAs - anybody care to input about the cleansing properties there?

Also, if you use any type of vinegar in your salad, the acid should kill off bad bacteria.

Mark's (salvador&armenia) Caesar is pretty much perfect the only reason I'm still surviving this town (okay and maybe the fact that Starbucks now carries the lemon loaf... Now all I need is for them to bring Peppermint Mocha to argieland). They do sometimes go overboard with the anchovies, but overall it's consistent in quality. Kansas' caesar reminds me of what you would probably get at Pizza Hut stateside, but they do offer the only Mediterranean with real feta cheese in town (or, at least it's the only one I've found). The serving size there is a plus. Their raspberry vinaigrette is on spot and they do also sell the dressing in a jar if you wish to take some home. Centro cultural Plaza Castelli (Conde&Echeverria in Belgrano R, kind of a hidden gem- the patio in the back is totally worth the trek from Palermo) has a variety of salads for lunch and you can sit outside on comfortable chairs and a decent amount of shade and greenery. They do offer a pretty good caesar, with some kind of rotisserie chicken that basically melts in your mouth. Not by-the-book caesar but hmm.. I'm getting hungry.

Dressings: You can get some pretty decent ones (organic, original mixes) at the Carrefour on Elcano and Enrique Martinez. Way in the back, near the spices and olive oil. They have everything from 1000 island to a few kinds of bbq. But that was last month... You know you never really know here.

I miss NYAJ's Waldorf... You really can't get here.

Mark's (salvador&armenia) Caesar is pretty much perfect the only reason I'm still surviving this town (okay and maybe the fact that Starbucks now carries the lemon loaf... Now all I need is for them to bring Peppermint Mocha to argieland). They do sometimes go overboard with the anchovies, but overall it's consistent in quality. Kansas' caesar reminds me of what you would probably get at Pizza Hut stateside, but they do offer the only Mediterranean with real feta cheese in town (or, at least it's the only one I've found). The serving size there is a plus. Their raspberry vinaigrette is on spot and they do also sell the dressing in a jar if you wish to take some home. Centro cultural Plaza Castelli (Conde&Echeverria in Belgrano R, kind of a hidden gem- the patio in the back is totally worth the trek from Palermo) has a variety of salads for lunch and you can sit outside on comfortable chairs and a decent amount of shade and greenery. They do offer a pretty good caesar, with some kind of rotisserie chicken that basically melts in your mouth. Not by-the-book caesar but hmm.. I'm getting hungry.

Dressings: You can get some pretty decent ones (organic, original mixes) at the Carrefour on Elcano and Enrique Martinez. Way in the back, near the spices and olive oil. They have everything from 1000 island to a few kinds of bbq. But that was last month... You know you never really know here.

I miss NYAJ's Waldorf... You really can't get here.
Kansas is much better than Pizza Hut. Not perfect but a hell of long way from the Hut.

anybody who does just a bit of research (like reading pick up the fork) can find many places that serve great salads.

Certainly, most of the ordinary restaurants in Buenos Aires have bland and uninspiring salads- but there are so many new places these days, and with the tiniest bit of work you can find amazing things.

Kansas is much better than Pizza Hut. Not perfect but a hell of long way from the Hut.

hahaha I was mostly referring to the "mush" style. You know how because the caesar is american and therefore sophisticated (? ha right) some of the places that serve it tend to go gourmet and "deconstruct" the salad so you en up having to chop the ingredients and mix them yourself once it gets to the table. Not the case at Kansas.

Back