Salads...a Big Problem In Bsars

I have provedores in my argentine family here, which helps at getting great prices when you place big orders.
I think you are right Dublin! i keep telling myself to do it but yes, without the kiosks! i have the name, a graphic deigned had helped me with all of the labels, i got great recipes, just got to put it into motion with a better business plan!
as for the vegetables, the good thing is that the price goes up and down, not like everything else here that just keeps going up!

"El Club de la ensalada" they do delivery. Great salads and affordable prices. You can find them online.

I know the girl who started this with a partner and have talked to her about the business before. (I was particularly interested because I got halfway into starting a muffin/budin business a few years back but decided to stick with my day job.) Very successful. Lots of time and hard work, she said. And doesn't know how she'd do it without her partner. Last I talked to her she was looking for a new space to either open a local or to cook in (or both) instead of doing it all in her own home and it looks as though that's become a reality from looking at the Facebook page. Shoush, I'm sure there's room for competition! I say go for it. And you're right that there are plenty of people interested in yummy salads during the work week. My office is all guys and just today about half of them ordered salads from a place called Latino Sandwich. Plus it's Friday! (Normally you see them eating salads on Monday after the asados, pizza, etc. like you said).

Make your own!! There is plenty of good lettuce - romaine (criolla), boston (mantecosa), red leaf (morada), radicchio, endive, radicheta, tomatoes, walnuts, blue cheese - olive oil, - you name it! Or go to one of those "tenedor libre" restaurants and eat all the salad you want plus everything else for around $70 pesos!

It definitely is the best choice. We make most of our food at home and it has actually spoiled me to the point that the only reason I tolerate eating out now is for the dining experience.

Gs is right. Again. Agree with make your own salad and dressing. I am leery of many salads in restaurants. A few years back a good friend was visiting and we ate at a restaurant with a salad bar , which he ate , and promptly got food poison. Nasty bit that set him back a couple days. Irregardless where I buy vegetables , I thoroughly wash everything with a soap and vinegar mix. Rinse well. Dry with salad spinner.

At little extra $$ for good olive oil and basalmic. Red wine vinegar is nice for a change too. I also make homemade croutons every week. Toasted pine nuts and craisins also make salad time fun.

What is the norm here to clean salads eliminating bacteria causing food poisoning . Possible contaminants are Cholera, Hepatitis, Esteria Coli?, and other . Washing the salad with water and vinegar is a good idea, also some people use water with a few drops of Chlorine, lavandina. ? Any other ideas?

All ready made salads form the verduleria that are eaten raw should be thoroughly Washed. Avoid salads in restaurants specialty with Mayo added.
In some countries Shell Co. sells 2 concentrate chemicals to clean salads!

My mother-in-law told me she washes the salad in water with a drop of bleach (lavandina.) At first I thought she was crazy, since all my mother has ever used is water, but doesn't seem so crazy now.

I don't think I've ever had any issues with produce here... the only time I got food poisoning was from a tiramisu at a restaurant.

When we lived in Ghana we washed our veggies with a drop of bleach, but I don't think it's necessary in BsAs.
Nancy

Possibilities of infection vary in the same country at different points in time and seasons . Chile in the nineties had several cases of cholera, restaurants Could not serve raw veggies at All. Today there is no danger . It also depends on the type of infection present.

Recently here on TV have seem several programs teaching people on the danger of Escherichia coli contamination, There must be a reason. On the other hand the famous attorney for the stars Mr. Burlando was in comma due to a severe poisoning caused by a Sushi delivery ...!! :cool:

Back