San Telmo/monserrat - Mexico/venezuela Area

thenewmasses

Registered
Wondering about the safety of this area, especially a couple blocks west of Defensa. Considering a stay in a place about equidistant from Ave 9 de Julio and Paseo Colon.

I'm an American of Syrian and Italian heritage so I look like a lot of portenos and I speak fluent spanish. Female in her 30s. Grew up in Northern NJ and have lived in Merida, Venezuela, and Paris, plus lots of time in NYC growing up.

Just wondering if anything about this area is a foolhardy risk; I accept that when you are in a major metropolis you need to be aware and exercise basic common sense and street smarts.

Thanks so much!

I rented a room in the 1400 block of Mexico when I first came here in 2008. It was a relatively safe area at that time. I still visit some friends a few blocks south of there, and it has not changed too much. From anecdotes I've heard, the further you go from there toward San Telmo, the more you run into the types of crimes associated with being in a tourist area, i.e., in my opinion, as an expat living in San Telmo, you may be a target in a targeted area for those types of criminals who prey on tourists.

Monserrat itself is not particularly exciting but is a great convenient central location from which to explore the city.

Good luck and enjoy your stay!

I just made an advance search using the words Monserrat and robbery.

This was the only post that contained both words: http://baexpats.org/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

Cool. How about west of Defensa? I just came across some stuff in a Lonely Planet forum about problems with muggings due to some folks squatting in a house on Piedras and Mexico. But, this was from three years ago.

The place I'm looking at is near this hostel:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g312741-d1013482-Reviews-Art_Factory_Hostel-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

I lived in San Telmo for years a while back, most of the time near Independencia and Defensa. Other than a one off incident with a broken bottle wielding paco nut I never had a problem. OTOH I lived on Piedras not far from Mexico about two and a half years ago and that area struck me as being much sketchier. My impressions confirmed by a number of long time expat San Telmo residents. I'd say during the day there wouldn't be a problem, but at night could be a different story.

Hi thenewmasses, not sure if you're already here or when you are arriving, but I have a 1BR apartment for rent in San Telmo if it's of any interest! If so, you can send me a PM and I'll send you the details. (I'm obviously biased, but you will find hundreds of threads about safety on this forum and in the end, you will realize that crime happens everywhere in this city. If you were looking at a place in Palermo or Recoleta and searched for crime words on a travel forum, you would also get results - alas, you always find what you google for.)

Thanks, Veteran. Will PM you. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I was mostly just wondering if anyone knew of this specific building on Piedras/Mexico that was a problem. I've worked in a state public safety department here in the US and was mostly wanting if see there is currently any one 'hot spot' that it was common knowledge you should stay from. Heading to BA to see how I like the city and volunteer for a while so I"m not planning on much after dark activity in particular since the sun apparently sets around 8:00 pm which sounds like such a luxury to someone living in the northern US right now. I've wandered around Mexico and Venezuela THE COUNTRIES by myself, just want to be smart as possible about those two streets if I commit to a place...

I live in Constitucion very close to San Telmo. The gym I go to is in San Telmo.
I don't think the building you're referring is controlled by squatters anymore.
The whole area has gone through a bit of a rebirth because of its architecture.
You'll be fine,... and be close to the huge Sunday Flea Market which is always a blast !
If you like,... I can take a picture of the building you're curious about.

The place I'm looking at is near this hostel:
http://www.tripadvis...l_District.html

It's a bit of a stretch to call this area San Telmo. You are closer to downtown and there are not many people on the street in this area after dark. it can be sketchy. Personally, I would look for something closer to the central core of the neighborhood. My favorite area in around Peru and Carlos Calvo. A couple of blocks can make a big difference in this neighborhood.
I'm speaking from having lived there for several years.

Back