Self employed aka Digital Nomad

Andreys, opening a USD account in Argentina will simply be impossible for you until you have permanent residency or citizenship here. It is to do with the current government imposed banking rules.

You should consider obtaining an ITIN in the US and then opening a bank account there. If you have an LLC in the US this may even be possible without an ITIN and only with your EIN however it will be a company bank account. There are ways to do this without physically going to the bank but are complicated and costly, if you can visit the US to get this done it may be easier.

Otherwise you’ll need to find a third country to do this (maybe somewhere like Belize that have offshore banking products for non-residents)

4) I heard some thing about rantie visa ... Can it help me?
No, it requires a permanent source of income, not a job contract that can be terminated.
I think I almost agree to pay all necessary taxes. Just want to understand how much and how to handle it..
Again, your desire to pay taxes is commendable, but you can not pay taxes in Argentina, since you are a tourist. Technically, you are not supposed to work while you are a tourist, and therefore you don't have to pay taxes.
And once I get it, I also hope to find rent flat for good price(like for local) due to have all necessary documents :)
To rent like a local you will need a co-signer with property in BA who guarantees your rent payments. So, forget about it.
3600 USD per month is actually a lot of money here, but you probably should be looking for a furnished apt and be ready to pay rent in advance for like 6 months.
Otherwise you’ll need to find a third country to do this (maybe somewhere like Belize that have offshore banking products for non-residents)
Probably, you would have a better chance in Uruguay or Georgia (country).

So..
1) all family has a Russian citizenship
2) with my family: wife and two childrens. Officially registered
3) about 3600 per month
4) I plan to stay 1 year, but..if everything goes well.. with ability to stay up to 2 years to take new citizenship (for now - it's not a goal/ not important)

I'm sorry, things must be very difficult you and your family right now, that being said, you're going to have a lot of challenges, so I'll try and give you some context and ideas as things related to the United States/EU sanctions, and Argentina's immigration system:

Bank Account

- You likely already know it's very difficult to access a bank account as a Russian now in 3rd countries
- Many digital platforms such as Payoneer or Paypal no longer provide this service
- Many banks are afraid of being sanctioned by the United States, European Union, and/or other partner nations
- You may need to ask that the money be deposited to a friend or family member's account while the situation with Ukraine is ongoing

Getting in to Argentina

- Russians don't need visas to enter Argentina as tourists thankfully
- However, you can still be denied entry in to Argentina, it is the sole discretion of countries to admit foreigners entry for any reason
- If you were denied entry, you would not be deported to Russia, but the country that last permitted you entrance
- I doubt you will be denied entry, but still, purchase a refundable ticket in case migraciones (immigration) asks

Documents for Residency in Argentina

- If you are still in Russia, I highly recommend getting you, your wife, and children's birth certificates
- Russia is a signatory to the Hague Convention on Apostilization so you will likely not be asked for documents to be legalized
- If you, your wife, or children were born in a former Soviet Republic that is now an independent state (i.e. a Soviet Republic that isn't now part of the Russian Federation) you will need the documents from there, and in turn, need to confirm if that state is a signatory to the Hague Convention on Apostilization (most are)
- You and your wife will need your marriage certificate
- You and your wife might need your federal police background check, depending on claim type

Claim for Residency in Argentina

- Your claim for residency is going to be difficult
- Your most likely method is claiming refugee/asylum status via CONARE
- Here is a guide of how this works in Argentina in English from CONARE http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/pdf/conare/guia_ingles.pdf
- The Kirchnerist government here is pro-Russia/pro-Putin, this could impact your claim
- I don't know anybody on this forum who has made a refugee/asylum claim

Paying Taxes Legally

- If you manage to overcome all the previous hurdles, you can register as a monotributista
- Your income exceeds the limit for services, though it may be raised in July, if not, you would need to move to the autonomous bridging program AFIP has for people who earn over the limit
- You would issue Facturas E, and have to pesify via the MULC
- You would earn $391,658 pesos a month at the official exchange rate, not a bad salary, but you should be receiving double that due to
the true value of the dollar
- Your taxes would be $9,216.76 pesos a month

Citizenship

- Technically there is a way for all migrants, but especially Europeans to solicit citizenship right away in Argentina; Bajo Cero is a lawyer here that has helped clients with this, thought from what I remember the court slow roles this to prevent people from doing this
- After 2 years of legal residency you can solicit citizenship for yourself, wife, and children

I'm not a lawyer nor an accountant, but this is generally available info that many of us here have found helpful in the past.

As much as many of us have sympathy for Ukrainians during this difficult time, we should also remember that millions of Russians are also suffering now too because of revanchist decisions taken by a president they themselves may hate too, and sanctions are hurting everyday Russians trying to survive more than Putin's inner circle or the various oligarchs.

- You may need to ask that the money be deposited to a friend or family member's account while the situation with Ukraine is ongoing
His employer needs to write it off as a business expense. This would be impossible if payment is made to a third person.

Documents for Residency in Argentina

- If you are still in Russia, I highly recommend getting you, your wife, and children's birth certificates
- Russia is a signatory to the Hague Convention on Apostilization so you will likely not be asked for documents to be legalized
You absolutely need to get the birth certificates apostilled in Russia.

Just two points here:

1. there are companies (mostly accounting firms) that will set up a local contract with everything legal, for a fee. Plus the amount transferred monthly to this company will include employee's and employer's tax contributions, and everything will be done by the book. You may decide what is a plausible local salary for your profile. Your employer may know or may be able to contact such a company. This will allow you to request a resident visa.
2. Of course it's possible to get a local bank account without permanent residency, I and several forum members have done exactly that. I was able to open a local bank account with just a "precaria", with the support of my employer here. From there it was a simple step to open a USD account online. Any suggestion to the contrary is ridiculous. Buying USD at the central bank rate is a different issue, it may be problematic depending on how your bank identifies you. Banco Santander has been accommodating in the past, there are others. You need to be here for that, of course.

Here is what you need to know about opening a USD bank account in Argentina after the regulatory changes of 2020 requiring “certificación negativa”. Before then it was easy to open a USD account at almost any bank.

I opened a local bank account in June 2021, my partner a few months later, and her sister a few months later again, all with temporary residency, and no problems to open a USD account online (to actually buy USD you do need a "negative certification" from the central bank, but that's automatic, you either have it or you don't).To the OP, trust people who are here and do things, not just pontificate and google links.

Last edited:
There is a danger here of confusing the OP whose first language is neither English nor Spanish, with terminology and slang that we understand (permanent residency, temporary residency, visas), oneupmanship (who knows the most), and by focusing on second-order issues (opening a US account, paying taxes, renting).

The key information from the OP to us is that this family wishes to come for one year, earn income from a US employer that will apparently only employ him if he opens a US account, stay for a second year if all goes well, and then consider citizenship as a longer-term option.

The key information from us to the OP at this stage is that he cannot bring his family for a year unless he obtains a residencia temporaria (temporary residency) from Argentina's migration authorities. That is the first step on the critical path (the second step on the critical path would be whether or not it is true he can open a US dollar account with that temporary residency). But let's first see if he can complete the first step.

Scanning the various categories of temporary residency (as we have done in recent threads), there are no good options for someone in his position. He needs to solve that problem first and foremost. Without solving that, the other problems do not arise. There appear to be two possibilities:

The one Frank mentions: a fake contract set up by a firm in exchange for a fee (that option is real: it was offered to me on more than one occasion while my temporary residency application remained stuck in the Migraciones black hole).

The one Quilombo mentions: CONARE.

There is a danger here of confusing the OP whose first language is neither English nor Spanish, with terminology and slang that we understand (permanent residency, temporary residency, visas), oneupmanship (who knows the most), and by focusing on second-order issues (opening a US account, paying taxes, renting).

The key information from the OP to us is that this family wishes to come for one year, earn income from a US employer that will apparently only employ him if he opens a US account, stay for a second year if all goes well, and then consider citizenship as a longer-term option.

The key information from us to the OP at this stage is that he cannot bring his family for a year unless he obtains a residencia temporaria (temporary residency) from Argentina's migration authorities. That is the first step on the critical path (the second step on the critical path would be whether or not it is true he can open a US dollar account with that temporary residency). But let's first see if he can complete the first step.

Scanning the various categories of temporary residency (as we have done in recent threads), there are no good options for someone in his position. He needs to solve that problem first and foremost. Without solving that, the other problems do not arise. There appear to be two possibilities:

The one Frank mentions: a fake contract set up by a firm in exchange for a fee (that option is real: it was offered to me on more than one occasion while my temporary residency application remained stuck in the Migraciones black hole).

The one Quilombo mentions: CONARE.
I tried to say this in the beginning of the thread but no one wanted to listen. I understand it is a tough situation but you can't just go potentially putting your family in a worse situation. Yes it can be definitely be tough with everything that's going on between Russia and Ukraine. I don't know his personal situation with exact details but he really has to put more thought into this. It sounded like he was already on his way. And honestly his best bet may be to remain in Russia. And about the refugee visa, I'd be surprised if these are an option anywhere for Russians. I imagine that only Ukrainians could get them.

Again, we have to take the focus off ourselves (who knows the most, and who spotted it all first) and not get sidetracked by the downstream issues of bank accounts and taxes and renting and fighting our own wars with other regular posters. Instead, keep the focus on what concrete steps this person can take, now that we know more about his situation. He can decide for himself where it is best for him to be. The only question he needs to answer at this stage is: is there any way I can obtain temporary residency for 12 months in Argentina from the migration authorities here? We have identified two possible ways.

Back