Selling a few artworks (Dali, Warhol and others)

ghost said:
It is my understanding that getting art works out of AR is a nightmare [if you list them among your belongings on the moving manifest]
Good luck

It's complicated, yes, but not a nightmare.
You first need to get an appraisal from Banco Ciudad in the centro (5% of the declared value to be paid).
Then you ask for an export permit from the Direccion de Artes Visuales.
15 days later you have your export permit and you're done.

French jurist said:
You first need to get an appraisal from Banco Ciudad in the centro (5% of the declared value to be paid).
Is Banco Ciudad qualified to appraise fine art?

ghost said:
Is Banco Ciudad qualified to appraise fine art?

Well they are supposed to be since they were given this power.
Nevertheless, I wonder if they have the knowledge to appraise art other than Argentinean one.
Banco Ciudad organizes Art auctions as well

French jurist said:

I forgot to add : After that, you need a Customs broker to send it (usually through a courrier service although you could negotiate with the Customs agent at the CPI if you want to send it through Correo Argentino=.
Customs brokers are quite expensive so the trick (100% legal) is to go to Montevideo with whatever artwork you wish to send, show the permit when you exit Bs As and you can send it from MVD without a broker (saves money).

French jurist said:
I forgot to add : After that, you need a Customs broker to send it (usually through a courrier service although you could negotiate with the Customs agent at the CPI if you want to send it through Correo Argentino=.
Customs brokers are quite expensive so the trick (100% legal) is to go to Montevideo with whatever artwork you wish to send, show the permit when you exit Bs As and you can send it from MVD without a broker (saves money).
It is the land of Complicado.

We'd love to come by and visit your things, not sure if we'd buy or not, how are they authenticated...? But regardless, a beer with another art lover is always fun.
You're welcome to come see us as well, my boyfriend is an artist and our home is filled with beautiful works...

HotYogaTeacher said:
We'd love to come by and visit your things, not sure if we'd buy or not, how are they authenticated...? But regardless, a beer with another art lover is always fun.
You're welcome to come see us as well, my boyfriend is an artist and our home is filled with beautiful works...

Hi HotYogaTeacher,

Well, in a cupple of months I might organize a lunch in my house (I've got a big garden and a pool, cooking french) so you'll be invited to join.
Since your BF is an artist, he should meet a good friend of mine, Anna Rank (google her name) who knows many people in the art world here.

Authentication : that's always the problem when it comes to buying art.

The Marilyns are not authentic, they are mainly decorative but are similar in every point to the original edition (size, technic, colors, ...).

The Dalis is another story because there are major authenticity problems with Dalis prints, even with original works sometimes (drawings,...). Specifically with Dali, it even can be more difficult since one can find original prints but with a signature done by Dalis assistents (in the best case). This is because at the end of his life he had the Parkinson disease.
Hopefully, there is a "Dali bible", which is the catalog of the complete graphic works (by Michler and Lopsinger). Every print is described (including mines) in details, and at the end of this book, forged editions are detailled as well (mines were never forged).
There are free auction results sites too which are quite useful (like artvalue.com : for instance, one can search for Dalis prints with the title "pantagruel" and my lithographs will show, some of them were published in color while some other in black and white).
As an illustration, I placed on photobucket both the Dalis and the page from the Dali catalogue : http://s870.photobucket.com/albums/ab269/frenchj1/

Anyway, if you want to see some of the artworks, I come twice a week to Bs As so it's not a big deal to bring them, and a beer is always welcome :p

I'll receive soon many lithographs by Antonio Segui from the 1960s/1970s, they are worth a look as well although they are very political.

Update :

One Dali litho got sold. others are priced 800 pesos (less than an ebay price)

Marilyns are liquidated at 500 pesos each (the silver one looking like a mirror has tiny defects)

The nice pastel drawing by Podesta, circa 1922 is at 2500 pesos

Back