Shocking new income requirement for visa rentista?

SaraSara said:
Can you buy property in Argentina while on a tourist visa?

Yes S², anyone can buy property in Argentina. All you need is a CDI and more than likely, the full amount in cash!

Back to the original topic, I think there may be a tax revenue motivation behind the increase. In addition to the fact that $800 USD per month isn't really enough to live on here, an income of $800 USD per month does not subject a temporary resident visa holder to taxation in Argentina. $2000 USD per month per person certainly will.

steveinbsas said:
Back to the original topic, I think there may be a tax revenue motivation behind the increase. In addition to the fact that $800 USD per month isn't really enough to live on here, an income of $800 USD per month does not subject a temporary resident visa holder to taxation in Argentina. $2000 USD per month per person certainly will.

I never met or even heard of a foreigner living in Argentina with a visa rentista who was paying income taxes in Argentina, With the new income requirement that will probably change. Who knows, in the future migraciones might require receipts from AFIP showing tax payments prior to granting a renewal of the visa.

Technically, from what I was told by my attorney, all residents here are supposed to pay taxes on their worldwide income. Of course, he also never heard of anyone who actually did.

Sleuth said:
Technically, from what I was told by my attorney, all residents here are supposed to pay taxes on their worldwide income. Of course, he also never heard of anyone who actually did.

Do you know if there's a tax treaty with the US, to prevent double taxation?
There was one fifteen years ago.

SaraSara said:
Do you know if there's a tax treaty with the US, to prevent double taxation?
There was one fifteen years ago.

From what I recall, there is one but it has never been entered into effect (sorry if the sentence is approximative).

Sleuth said:

Untill they make you

I would also do some research about the term sworn statement.

IMO, letting people live in the country because they receive $2,000/month or more is not helping the country. I think they should give more incentive to those who invest in Argentina, and make a positive difference in the local communities. That makes more sense to me.

Back