Shocking new income requirement for visa rentista?

The amount needed for an investment visa is now $3.000.000. My wife and I were asked to provide proof of this even though we started the process 7 years ago! Luckily we have a good lawyer who told them that they can't retrospectively apply the law. Hopefully one day before we die we might go from temporary to full residency.

I hope they can't retroactively apply the new income requirement for visa rentista renewals.

If you have temporary residency you should be eligible to ask for permanent residency on the third renewal,

A friend of mine was "forced" to ask for the cambio de categoria from temporary to permanent residency on the fourth renewal of his temporary residency last year.

It would be interesting (and possibly helpful to others) to know why you have not been able to get permanent residency (if you've already had temporary residency for three years).
emo32.gif

The amount needed for an investment visa is now $3.000.000. My wife and I were asked to provide proof of this even though we started the process 7 years ago! Luckily we have a good lawyer who told them that they can't retrospectively apply the law. Hopefully one day before we die we might go from temporary to full residency.

7 years ago?
Are you joking?
You need a new lawyer NOW!!

I think the immigration will get v tough here.

A friend of mine married to a local Argentine ( born and brought up in Arg) - they have a Argentine born kid.

This friend went to ask citizenship requirements for herself and she was told "she ain't eligible" till she has lived in Arg for 2 years. I told her that is crap but she was absolutely unconvinced about my view.

i even offered her to suggest lawyers name but the immigration office brainwashed her so hard that she refused to even take my advise!

---

I am wondering when will they change the constitution and change the citizenship law, in sync with their new policies?

I think the immigration will get v tough here.

A friend of mine married to a local Argentine ( born and brought up in Arg) - they have a Argentine born kid.

This friend went to ask citizenship requirements for herself and she was told "she ain't eligible" till she has lived in Arg for 2 years. I told her that is crap but she was absolutely unconvinced about my view.

i even offered her to suggest lawyers name but the immigration office brainwashed her so hard that she refused to even take my advise!

---

I am wondering when will they change the constitution and change the citizenship law, in sync with their new policies?

There's no need to wait (or even hope) for a change in the constitution to fit the "policies" of migraciones when applying for citizenship.

I suggest you tell your friend to go to the federal court that has jurisdiction in the are where she lives...since migraciones has nothing wheresoever to to with the citizenship process. She will be able to get a list of the requirements and they will look at her DNI to see the date of her first entry into the country.

Yes, there is a "two year residency" requirement for citizenship and that period would have begun the day your friend first set foot on Argentine soil. I believe that the two year residency requirement applies to the spouse of an Argentine citizen, but I vaguely remember someone posting that is not the case.

Apparently Dr Rubilar has been able to initiate the process after his clients (who do not have a DNI) have been "in" Argentina for at least one year.

In any case, the federal court is the place to go.
emo32.gif

7 years ago?
Are you joking?
You need a new lawyer NOW!!
No. We think the file got lost between DNM and the Department of Trade. We, and our lawyer pushed every three months to find out what was happening and finally in January 2015 we went from Precaria to Temporaria. Luckily this has not held us back from operating our business albeit that we have to have an Argentinian as gerente of our own company.

There's no need to wait (or even hope) for a change in the constitution to fit the "policies" of migraciones when applying for citizenship.

I suggest you tell your friend to go to the federal court that has jurisdiction in the are where she lives...since migraciones has nothing wheresoever to to with the citizenship process. She will be able to get a list of the requirements and they will look at her DNI to see the date of her first entry into the country.

Yes, there is a "two year residency" requirement for citizenship and that period would have begun the day your friend first set foot on Argentine soil. I believe that the two year residency requirement applies to the spouse of an Argentine citizen, but I vaguely remember someone posting that is not the case.

Apparently Dr Rubilar has been able to initiate the process after his clients (who do not have a DNI) have been "in" Argentina for at least one year.

In any case, the federal court is the place to go.
emo32.gif

I already know all this & more.. thanks though.

The point of the post was to highlight the attitude of the Migraciones

Ceviche I have been here over a decade and that hasn't changed -- it has always been (in the time I have been here, cannot state before) 2 years of residency after marriage before going for citizenship. This is not an example of immigration getting tougher, it is exactly the same as it has been for a decade.

In Canada you marry someone from abroad, you still have to go through a process of sponsoring your spouse, part of which involves compiling a binder of information that documents your relationship with your spouse since the time you first met, goes into great detail asking for details of your first meeting, evidence of an ongoing relationship including attaching emails and messages between parties, photographic evidence of any trips you have taken together. They can ask for interviews and receipts. They also ask for over a thousand bucks in order to do the process by the time you finish.

And that is just to get residency. Then the spouse, like here, has to live in Canada for 2 or 3 years before being allowed to apply for citizenship, and they need to present their tax returns, travel receipts, write an exam etc in order to prove they have spent the required number of days in the country before getting citizenship.

Here the process is comparatively piss easy. As far as I understand it is basically go prove to a judge you have been here 2 years and can speak Spanish.

As for Migraciones, I have never been treated any worse (and probably also never better) than any immigration official from the USA, who are well known for being A-holes.

Sync Girl,

I agree that the immigration process is v easy here..especially citizenship and my point is that we are in anticipation when they will consider making it tougher.

I agree that the immigration process is v easy here..especially citizenship and my point is that we are in anticipation when they will consider making it tougher.

Now I believe understand your earlier post. You wonder when "they" (meaning congress?) will make it tougher to obtain citizenship than it already is, perhaps amending the constitution to do so?

The "new" income requirement for the visa rentista is now back to the "new shocking" level of 2010. It really isn't any tougher now to get a visa rentista than it was then. In fact, it might be a bit easier as the birth certificate is no longer required and neither is a translation of the passport (in most cases).

In 2010 I checked the ARCA website for the requirements for citizenship. When I quoted the information from their website Dr Rubilar quickly told me that information was wrong. ARCA's website indicated that one had to have temporary residency for three years and permanent residency for two additional years before applying for citizenship.

Dr. Rubilar (who was just starting to blaze a path for citizenship for those who do not have a DNI and have been in the country for at least one year) said that five year temporary/permanent resdiency requirement was (at the time) abolished seventeen years earlier but some (if not many) judges were still applying the provisions of the old law.

I just checked ARCA's website. They still show the same information: http://www.argentina...p-passports.htm

[email protected]

titles_pass.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
A Simple & Straightforward Path To Citizenship
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

For Permanent Residents
Unlike many other nations, obtaining citizenship in Argentina is relatively straightforward. The first step is to obtain your visa, which will allow you to live in the country for one year on a temporary residence permit. When the year has expired, the visa can be extended for an additional year. At the end of the second year, the visa can be extended again for another year. At the end of the third year, you can extend the visa again and receive permanent residency. At this point you will be legally entitled to reside in the Argentina permanently. Two years after receiving your permanent residency, you may apply for citizenship.
What is necessary?
You should speak fluent Spanish, know some general Argentine culture and politics to discuss in an interview, have been living in Argentina most of the time during those previous 2 years as a permanent resident, and have produced income / worked in Argentina and paid taxes in Argentina.
Citizenship Timeline
spacer.gif
timeline.gif

The requirements TruchoTango mentioned except for the active bank acc't. were the exact requirements for a "aposentado" -retiree visa Brazil in 2012 when I applied .They also required a USD 2.000 passive income.I decided to remain in la Argentina Kirchnerista however
because ANSES did not allow "la jubilkacion" to be patd outside of Argentina.

Back