Should Prostitution Be Made Illegal In Argentina?

Should Prostitution be Criminalized in Argentina?

• Yes, make prostitution illegal

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • No, do NOT criminalize prostitution

Votes: 37 92.5%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
On the other hand, I think anyone who pays for such a service should be convicted

ha ha! dream on! Maybe every Argentine male will have to be convicted then!

The funniest thing i ever heard!

This will be my last post on this one, but I didn't vote no due to the fact (as I clarified in all the other posts multiple times) that I am against prosecuting prostitutes due to the fact that such a large percentage (more than 60% for sure) ... member of this forum frequent prostitutes).

There were several people including me that suggested that laws against human trafficking/ kidnapping and pimping should be enforced. It was you that ignored this and kept insisting that there be an additional law against prostitution. Many people pointed out that by criminalizing prostitutes you would make them into even more of a victim. But you kept on insisting that criminalizing prostitution was the morally correct thing to do.

I'm glad you've came over to our side. Welcome.

Voted to keep it legal, and I am female. Human trafficking is a HUGE problem in Argentina, and pimps are lowlifes. Prostitutes should receive medical checkups and get health cards, and there should be many programs for them if they want to retrain to do something else. There are many awful jobs out there--working in a mine? picking through trash?
The real solution to end prositution (at least for heterosexuals) is simple but no one would go for it--true sexual liberation so there is not one group (women) who are oppressed into not expressing their sexuality. Women are taught from a young age to keep pure or trade it for something worthwhile (money, a husband, etc).
By treating people as equals we could end sexual exploitation. But will women start to go dutch on dates? Will men stop trying to prove their masculinity by sleeping around and women stop proving their feminity by keeping it under wraps? Can we stop the thousands of messages that one receives growing up that forces us to feel shame about our sexuality?
(a few societies have done this, not impossible, but gotta get rid of the Catholic Church, install sex ed in all schools, change the pop culture, etc)

Voted to keep it legal, and I am female. Human trafficking is a HUGE problem in Argentina, and pimps are lowlifes. Prostitutes should receive medical checkups and get health cards, and there should be many programs for them if they want to retrain to do something else. There are many awful jobs out there--working in a mine? picking through trash?
The real solution to end prositution (at least for heterosexuals) is simple but no one would go for it--true sexual liberation so there is not one group (women) who are oppressed into not expressing their sexuality. Women are taught from a young age to keep pure or trade it for something worthwhile (money, a husband, etc).
By treating people as equals we could end sexual exploitation. But will women start to go dutch on dates? Will men stop trying to prove their masculinity by sleeping around and women stop proving their feminity by keeping it under wraps? Can we stop the thousands of messages that one receives growing up that forces us to feel shame about our sexuality?
(a few societies have done this, not impossible, but gotta get rid of the Catholic Church, install sex ed in all schools, change the pop culture, etc)

Really wish this BAExpats forum had a far more outreaching audience, ... public TV or something .

Even with information age at lightning speed, so many people are still hard set in their ways.

Habits and values are the most difficult to change (if not all together impossible).

I think it's pretty clear the main reason women go into prostitution is financial.

No.

Making this illegal would add to the crime of the city.

Thanks, Captain Obvious!
200px-CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

Seems some people think it's about gender equality.

Reactions: Joe

I 100% emphatically agree with everything written here, and I voted the same way. I will add an extension to what Montauk_Project has already expressed so well-- One of the reasons it's hard for people to leave the sex industry is because of the stigma surrounding it. If people really care abut the wellbeing of sex workers the way they say they do, if they really want the sex trade to end, they won't treat sex workers as "others" when they try to leave the industry.

I am against prostitution because it is the result of an eternity of cultural programming that tells us that the commodification and sale of women's bodies is fine, that more than anything else we exist in the world for the pleasure of straight men (whore) and to have their children (Madonna). But prohibition does not work, and I would rather keep people safe. I doubt I will see true sexual liberation for woman and men in my lifetime. But I can hope that the culture will keep changing.

Back