Should we Brits be keeping a low profile?

I missed Timmerman's response to the yank who asked him about self determination of the islanders. Anyone see it? Did he just repeat that Argentina thinks they have no right to self determination?

I don't think Brits should keep a low profile. They should voice their opinion as they please.

Argentines will simply have to deal with the fact that they have no say over the Falklands and that they probably never will. They're not able to run their own country, let alone these islands. If the Argentines wouldn't have been able to kick the English out in 1806 and 1807 they probably would have been better off as well.

ReemsterCARP said:
Argentines will simply have to deal with the fact that they have no say over the Falklands and that they probably never will. They're not able to run their own country, let alone these islands.

Following your 'logic', a poor farmer without education should have no right to posses a farm because he does not know how to manage it to obtain the max tons of wheat per hectare. Rubbish. A right is a right.

Moreover, how determine what's 'run their own country'? According to this, Argentines are happier than Brits after all (I can't wait to read someone saying 'oh, the study is rubbish, bla bla bla).

I have already seen pictures in facebook that are circulating of people burning the union jack . And oher pics of people hating on he Chileans, saying that they are worse than the british( guess the envy hat the chileans have unincumbered access to the falklands seems to be bohering the argentines. The hate has started. Use wise judgement, but cower to noone

Tatucarey said:
I'm an Argentinian, and I dont think argentines are just going to start discriminating against Brits or attacking them at all. We dont like the idea that the war was fought against a dictatorship, and that the Brits took advantage of that charade, fighting a war that should have never happened. But all of this makes us mad at the governments, not the people.

In my opinion, people that would actually discriminate against Brits, can't speak English, or don't really care about it; and people like me, who actually do care, know that it's not the British people who we should be mad at.

Interesting perspective. I would say most of the rest of the world believes Argentina provoked the Malvinas war as a means of diverting attention away from their own campaign of torture and murder and that CK has provoked the present crisis to divert attention from problems associated with inflation.

But I do agree that Argentinos are very good about separating their anger at foreign governments from their actions toward individuals. I am American and never encountered any hostility directed at me when most Argentinos were mad at the USA for invading Iraq. By all accounts, the Boosh twins were treated well during their time in BA, despite feelings about their father.

Back