skim milk available in BsAs???

Roxana said:
Julia2, the very fresh milk "goes" through the mill to become a powder, so it is never in touch with antibiotics or preservatives.

Who puts preservatives in milk ?. As far as i know milk is heat treated ( pasturisation) - and infact all the milk i have seen in BSAS has been pasturised..

Why would they put antibiotics into fresh milk ???

Traces of antibiotics would be found in fresh milk because the antibiotics would be used to treat mastitis - the antibiotics are injected into the cows teat, the cow is milked, the milk is either bottled, or is spayed dried into powder, made into butter, cheese etc.. so it would make no difference if its been used for fresh milk or powder..

But powder milk is heated alot more than pasturised fresh milk, and that heating would kill far more bacteria.....

Traces of antibiotics would be found in fresh milk because the antibiotics would be used to treat mastitis - the antibiotics are injected into the cows teat, the cow is milked, the milk is either bottled, or is spayed dried into powder, made into butter, cheese etc.. so it would make no difference if its been used for fresh milk or powder..

That was also what I think!

Antibiotics are not put into milk after -- they are in the milk because they are IN the cow -- so powdered or liquid, you're getting a dose of whatever antibiotics your cow might have been on.

Pasteurization kills bacteria (hence those labels that boast less than 1 in 5,000,000 bacteria or whatever they say), but I'm not sure if they add additional preservatives to UHT milk or if it's simply vacuum sealed right after pasteurization.

Once exposed to oxygen (and heat), like any product, your milk is going to start growing bacteria again, hence it goes off after awhile...

Roxana I think you might mean raw milk when you say "fresh milk" -- this is milk that has not been pasteurized, and yes can have more bacteria in it (hence pregnant women and children not supposed to eat/drink raw milk products because their defenses are not as good as others). I know my husband told me awhile ago that there were problems with the milk here and since then they have pasteurized all of it.

Raw milk, unfortunately, is prohibited in many countries, including as far as I can tell Argentina, although there must be small producers of it around. If you ask me, this is why locally produced camemberts, bries and goat's cheese don't live up to their european equivalents -- pasteurized milk :(

Pasteurization is simply bringing the temperature of the product up to a certain degree and then cooling it -- kills bacteria but not flavour is the idea. Unfortunately it's those same bacteria that result in such lovely cheese products in countries where it is permited.

0% milk is available in the long shelf life section with baby formula, etc.

I'm a bit confused as well. If the cow was treated with antibiotics while they gave milk, wouldn't it be retained in the powder?

Should I worry about butter, yogurt or cheese? Any brands that are more trusted or natural than others?

Thanks!

MikeB12 said:
I'm a bit confused as well. If the cow was treated with antibiotics while they gave milk, wouldn't it be retained in the powder?

Should I worry about butter, yogurt or cheese? Any brands that are more trusted or natural than others?

Thanks!

There are so many things you (we all) have to worry about, I guess the milk is one of the smallest problems. If you think about all this you can only stop eating.
I don´t mean that we have to ignore that, I mean these problems can only be solved when we change the system of this world, where everything is done for the maximum profit.

Unfortuately it's hard to find alternatives here. I can't get soy milk in my neighbourhood and I went through a phase of making my own almond milk but the almonds are old, pricey and in short supply. Anyone seen rice or oat milk anywhere?

You can find fresh, good quality, just made soy and rice milk at La Casa de Oshawa, at Ciudad de la paz 200's block. It is one block from Av Cabildo.

You can also buy it at Chinatown in Belgrano.

I never heard about oat milk in Buenos Aires.

Once I tried to make my own soy milk and the mess was bigger than the result. I remember I had seen machines to make soy or rice milk in the US. Perhaps call Casa Japonesa, at Venezuela street and ask them if they have the machine or can get it for you (this machine was around US$120 in the US)

Back