Skype call quality in BA ?

Johnno

Registered
Okay guys - yet another question :)

I now have an Aussie phone number associated with my skype account - and an unlimited account for calling back to Oz as much as I want - IF the call quality from BA is good enough I will be able to do my job here (Perth) from Buenos Aires - and basically solve 99% of my problems before I get there...

NOW - to keep doing this job from there (assuming the boss here agrees) the only technical issue is that I need to be hooked up to their phone system (calls routed to my aussie number which then rings on my laptop or skype phone down in BA) - I am running/testing everything here now - but the internet here in Perth is NOT quite up to par so there have been some call quality issues...

When I was in Recoleta my friend's apartment had an excellent internet connection - but I never thought at the time to test it out for skype phone call quality...

My question is this - HOW GOOD will the quality be from BA using skype to call back to Oz ? I'm guessing (?) that the Argentine network is hanging off the US backbone (?) and that if anything it will be much better than what we have here in Perth (?)

Is anyone out there using skype for their business calls/etc. at the moment (international calls) and how is it for you in terms of reliability/call quality/etc. from BA to wherever ?

Many thanks in advance,

John :)

I use Skype to call the US from Buenos Aires all the time and never have problems.

Yes, I use skype for my business calls. I do have intermittent issues but I'd say less than 3% of the time. And since I use it to call all over the world, I can't complain at all! And agreed, I find the connection better than my landline. As Lee said, definitely go for the highspeed connection.

I was using it all the time but I changed to another sip client so I could receive calls from my USA number directly here on my cell phone. You can do that with skype forwarding too but it isnt cost effective (I believe it is 17 cents a minute, unless that has changed). Skype works great here.

I have a slightly used skype phone for sale if anyone is interested. The charger is a usb but you dont need your computer on. I would be willing to sell it for $50USD or best offer. PM me if you are interested. Oh here is an amazon link of the phone: http://www.amazon.com/IPEVO-S0-20-W...5UEE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290016111&sr=8-3

When I'm abroad, I Skype every day with my partner in Buenos Aires, and it's totally reliable... we used to have random issues with a very annoying wind-tunnel noise, but that's almost completely disappeared in the last few months. And yes, we both have excellent high-speed Internet connections.

Thank you so much guys :) THIS is the one piece of intel I needed badly :) Looks like my game plan is going to work - I'll get paid in Aussie dollars into my bank account here in Oz but will be working from the laptop in my apartment in Belgrano :) Hey presto - I'll still take a few hours teaching in the university that has taken me on - but thats more about vanity and having the rank of professor again and it also looks good to prospective private students - and I think I'll always want to keep a few of them too :)

Many thanks again...

The problem isn't SKYPE.

The problem is your internet provider and your routers.

Something's wrong with the internet in the apartment I've moved into. I can't even watch a video that is longer than 1 minute long. I can't upload a little video that I've taken with my camera. My Skype calls get dropped on a regular basis. It's my internet, it's not my computer/Skype/site that I'm dealing with.

Napoleon said:
The problem isn't SKYPE.

The problem is your internet provider and your routers.

Something's wrong with the internet in the apartment I've moved into. I can't even watch a video that is longer than 1 minute long. I can't upload a little video that I've taken with my camera. My Skype calls get dropped on a regular basis. It's my internet, it's not my computer/Skype/site that I'm dealing with.

The new $99 peso/month 6 Mbps line from Fibertel is amazing! I have been getting well over 11 Mbps download (even hit 17 Mbps) and 1.5 Mbps upload. This is almost 5 times better than my 3 Mbps line from them. See if the landlord will upgrade the line and let you pay the difference...

Also, get a router that lets you do QoS (quality of service) so that you can put Skype traffic at higher priority than other traffic.

Hey guys - many thanks again for your input there - I forgot to ask one more question :) WHAT would you recommend as the BEST skype phone out there ? In terms of call quality, in terms of versatility - I want something I can sit on (not literally:) 8 hours a day when I am working from the apartment - something where I can use it on speakerphone and with some sort of wearable headset option - basically I want something with the best quality and options for use etc - I'll be using it to make a living (and also to make all my overseas calls... I have seen several headsets (for the laptop) and dedicated phones too - mostly on the skype website - and I have bought one skype phone already which I have been testing here in Oz before I leave for BsAs - its the SMC one - but to be honest I don't think it would get me through a full 8 hour shift without the battery dying and the quality/options are not as good as what I am needing... Any advice or recommendations ?

Back