"Smash and Grab" and rising Palermo Soho Crime

Sleuth

Registered
So, yesterday on Libertador in Belgrano, I witnessed an incredibly bold smash and grab.

I was in a remise stopped at a light when two guys on a motorcycle pulled up to the car next to us that was being driven by a single woman. The guy on the back got off the motorcycle, smashed his head (with helmet on) through the back passenger window of the car leaned in and came out with her purse. He jumped on the back of the waiting motorcycle and the two of them took off. All told, it took about 30 seconds.

Then, I get home and there's a report on the news about rising robberies and crimes in Palermo Soho (in restaurants and on the streets). They were interviewing some of the criminals who said they targeted men in Palermo Soho because they expected them to be carrying money with them. Supposedly two guys went in to rob a restaurant in Palermo as well, and there was an off-duty police officer in the restaurant. Shots were exchanged and the police officer is in critical condition...

Just wanted people to be aware and take precautions.

For woman drivers: a good strategy is to keep the handbag on the floor, behind your legs and against the seat. It's a safe place, out of sight and out of reach.

Not too comfortable, but after a while it becomes automatic.

Sleuth Palermo Viejo or Soho has had worse crime waves than now . I remember back in 2005 a string of high profile restaurant robberies that caused huge panic for their daringness.

Remember when you go out to restaurants to have money hidden in a secret place on yourself . Your wallet should have around 200 pesos maximum and if you are robbed give this up as these guys carry guns and work in professional groups

Sleuth said:
So, yesterday on Libertador in Belgrano, I witnessed an incredibly bold smash and grab.

I was in a remise stopped at a light when two guys on a motorcycle pulled up to the car next to us that was being driven by a single woman. The guy on the back got off the motorcycle, smashed his head (with helmet on) through the back passenger window of the car leaned in and came out with her purse. He jumped on the back of the waiting motorcycle and the two of them took off. All told, it took about 30 seconds.

Then, I get home and there's a report on the news about rising robberies and crimes in Palermo Soho (in restaurants and on the streets). They were interviewing some of the criminals who said they targeted men in Palermo Soho because they expected them to be carrying money with them. Supposedly two guys went in to rob a restaurant in Palermo as well, and there was an off-duty police officer in the restaurant. Shots were exchanged and the police officer is in critical condition...

Just wanted people to be aware and take precautions.

You should never ride in a car here with valuables in sight. Purses should be under the seat or in the trunk. What was described is probably the most common type of theft in S.A. They also like to do this in heavy traffic while on foot. They walk up to your car when you are stuck in traffic break you window, very easy to do, and reach in for the valuables and be gone in seconds.

Such an awful story. Have to say though you get that in most major cities. Such a horrible experience for the women though.

And of course, like always, there will be nothing done to prevent these crimes, or just about any other crimes that take place. We just have to remember to take precautions and always pay attention to our surroundings.

Moonwitch said:
Such an awful story. Have to say though you get that in most major cities. Such a horrible experience for the women though.

Um.. what major cities? I travel all over the world and BsAs is one of the *very* few places that I worry that much about being in a car on a major street in a very safe area.

Back