So are the borders opening now? I thought cases were exploding?

Expatwiz

Registered

Can I go to Argentina in November? I am not planning on it but could I? Is there a strict quarantine like staying 14 days indoors or something?

Can I go to Argentina in November? I am not planning on it but could I? Is there a strict quarantine like staying 14 days indoors or something?

All your questions are answered in the article you linked to.

All your questions are answered in the article you linked to.
Yeah, I am an idiot I got excited reading the headline. " Only Argentina’s citizens and residents and tourists from neighboring countries will be allowed to enter. ". Fml.

Even if they open up to the world, the amount of tourists will be minimal at best - long haul tourism is practically dead globally at the moment. People generally only feel comfortable traveling closer to home. This is evident in long haul pax numbers globally. For example, most Europeans would need to worry about being quarantined upon return and this potentially would eat into their holiday leave from work. Then there is finding travel insurance policies that would cover them when Argentina features in government travel advisories for COVID as “all but essential travel” or similar. Not to mention the fear of getting sick in a strange land and being grounded for a few weeks in a hospital or potentially expensive hotel quarantine ruining ones plans.

It’s a stupid policy, there will always be a few who want / need to travel anywhere and excluding them won’t achieve anything. But thinking it will do much to create an economic boost ... not convinced either. As stated earlier, you need to be a bit foolish (or otherwise invested) to come here at a time like this, especially if it involves traveling half way around the world.

Yes, they should. At this point, why not? Open up to free-spending USD- and Euro-laden tourists.

They would have to be pretty stupid to come here instead of going somewhere in the Caribbean. Not to mention that even from CABA it's less of a bureaucratic hassle to fly to a beach in Costa Rica or Colombia than it is to travel to Mar de Plata.

Even if they open up to the world, the amount of tourists will be minimal at best - long haul tourism is practically dead globally at the moment. People generally only feel comfortable traveling closer to home.

Indeed. You'd need to be mad to go anywhere on holiday at the mo especially with all the uncertainty going on.We have no intentions on going to Europe until 2022 at the earliest.

Even if they open up to the world, the amount of tourists will be minimal at best - long haul tourism is practically dead globally at the moment. People generally only feel comfortable traveling closer to home. This is evident in long haul pax numbers globally. For example, most Europeans would need to worry about being quarantined upon return and this potentially would eat into their holiday leave from work. Then there is finding travel insurance policies that would cover them when Argentina features in government travel advisories for COVID as “all but essential travel” or similar. Not to mention the fear of getting sick in a strange land and being grounded for a few weeks in a hospital or potentially expensive hotel quarantine ruining ones plans.

It’s a stupid policy, there will always be a few who want / need to travel anywhere and excluding them won’t achieve anything. But thinking it will do much to create an economic boost ... not convinced either. As stated earlier, you need to be a bit foolish (or otherwise invested) to come here at a time like this, especially if it involves traveling half way around the world.
The young and wealthy want to travel. I know of many USA citizens who would welcome the chance to come to Argentina, especially combined with a trip to Brazil. Most of these folks are internet execs or entrepreneurs. Plenty of funds, able to easily secure insurance, make all arrangements at their destinations in advance. It’s the same demographic that makes these “flights to nowhere” sell out. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/15/air...-nowhere-that-take-off-land-in-one-place.html

Will the old, timid and poor travel? No. But realistically who needs them anyway?

The young and wealthy want to travel. I know of many USA citizens who would welcome the chance to come to Argentina, especially combined with a trip to Brazil. Most of these folks are internet execs or entrepreneurs. Plenty of funds, able to easily secure insurance, make all arrangements at their destinations in advance. It’s the same demographic that makes these “flights to nowhere” sell out. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/15/air...-nowhere-that-take-off-land-in-one-place.html
Of course there will always be some who want to travel as I stated. But it’s important to stay conscious of the fact that a few rich, young, fearless and entitled North Americans are not the bulk of the global industry or even the Argentine inbound tourism industry. Nor are those who book a flight to nowhere (its not like there are 20 frequencies a day hauling people around the sky on a jolly...) representative of global demand.
As an example looks at hotel occupancy rates in Mexico - ghost towns compared to pre-COVID, even though there is nothing stopping determined visitors from the US or Europe from coming. The numbers globally simply speak for themselves - wanting to travel and actually traveling are two separate themes.

Back