So, bagels and cream cheese and pickles available!

rob0001

Registered
If you are in need of these items, they are available at Sheikob's in Soho.
The owner is Jake and is from New York...he makes a good bagel in several flavors. I've had, sesame, onion and pumpernickel.
Here is the great thing...he sells his homemade cream cheese. It comes in plain, chive and jalapeno. I've only had the jalapeno and it's great. He told me the only thing that comes close in taste to cream cheese here is Finlandia, but they use powdered milk which gives a ruff mouth feel.
Next, he makes a fermented New York Deli style pickle. Being fermented means it's a refrigerator type but he sells those too...I just haven't had it yet. If he makes them regularly it will work as a good substitute.
I did find 4 types of pickles at Jumbo. I bought one of them and will buy them all to test them. The first one was a German gherkin which was typical tasting for that variety and fine. There was another style of pickle from the same German brand...then a different brand (not sure where it is made) ...and a huge jar of Jumbo branded pickles. I just hope one of them is garlicy tasting.... but we'll see.

OK, cool, where do you find this place? I tried searching on Shakob's and got 7 tons of gobbledygook
Is it this, maybe?
I'm not sure they actually have two locations...the one I go to is at:
Uriarte 1386, C1414DAL C1414DAL, Buenos Aires

Went here several years ago. Not bad. Was good to have a bagel. Wish they delivered to the interior

He also sells corned beef, capers, pickled onions and smoked salmon

Their bagels are as good as it gets here but I wasn’t a fan of the cream cheese personally. I tried the plain and the chive.

Thanks for the recommend; I was telling my husband the other day about bagels and how he needs to try some; I'll look to take him there for breakfast sometime soon.

Pretty damn good bagels. Not just round bread with a hole in the middle. It's good it's all the way across town from me. I could eat there every day.

I agree that the cream cheese isn't as good as Philly but it's a good substitute to anything I've found here. I'll buy Philly until I can't...it's more expensive than his however and if I needed a cream cheese in cooking I'd surely use his. Haven't tried anything but the bagels and cream cheese so far.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PatriotsFan Expat Life 6
Rich One Expat Life 32
M Newcomers Forum 31
S Expat Life 21
D Expat Life 7
Back