So I Tried To Get A Dni...

platypoctagon

Registered
I've been here for about one month so far (from the US). As soon as I got here, I started applying for my DNI. From the website, it seemed like it should have been pretty easy.

First, I went to the government to get a copy of my Argentine criminal record (which was clean). Then I had to wait like three weeks, and go on March 14 to an Immigration office on Avenida Antartida Argentina, to present my record, pay some money, bring a photo, and get my DNI. I followed all the steps.

But when I got to the window, the guy told me - in sort of a rude manner - that I did not bring the right papers. He wouldn't say what the right papers were, but he said I could go to another room and get a brochure about it. I went to the other room, and there was no such brochure, but the guy there told me that in order to get a DNI, I must first have a job.

I have been applying for jobs since I got here, as a native English teacher. Every single job requires a DNI, in order to get the job..

So now I'm in this catch-22 where I can't get the DNI without a job and I can't get a job without the DNI. Has anyone else been in this situation? Does anyone have any advice? How can I get my DNI? Surely I'm not the first foreigner to try to get a job here. I am thoroughly confused. What can I do?.

I really appreciate any advice that you guys have to give. I'm still pretty new here.

DNI is just a card you get when you get residency.

What type of residency were you applying for and what country are you from?

If you go to migraciones.gov.ar and click on residencies you can see the different options and their respective requirements.

Just saw that you were from the US, that means non mercosur. Click on the non mercosur link and they should have the categories and requirements on there.

What steps from what website did you follow?

DNI acquisition is a very involved convoluted process that involves, among other things, apostiling of US documents that has to be done in the US. At best the residency process takes a 2-3 months. Without someone helping you (either an immigration lawyer or or experienced friend or fixer) you may leave ARG before you get it! Please research "DNI/residency"
threads in this forum to give you more aggravating but realistic information. As stated the DNI is a card that is used as a kind of national identity card that verifies your residency status and assigns you a resident identification number. Similar to how we use a social security number in the US for verifications.
My advice, get a lawyer to help you. The rules are always changing. Good luck

Sounds like you have really done your due diligence before coming here and so you should have no problem hanging about for three or four years to qualify for permanent residence and a DNI.Goo luck.BTW you are not English so you aren't a native English speaker!!!

The Argentine DNI & Residency process is actually much less convoluted then the process of getting, say, residency and social security card in the US. You just have to qualify, and get the right paperwork together. Once I got married, it took one trip to the Immigrations office and 2 months later I had the card in the mail.

The OP does not make clear the reason for which he is applying for a DNI, only that he wants to get a job requiring that. Are you the child of Argentines? Married to an Argentine? Any qualifying event? So far I just see this post as an entitled Floridian upset that similar rules that are harshly applied in most countries (namely the US) are also applied in Argentina to him or herself.

DNI acquisition is a very involved convoluted process that involves, among other things, apostiling of US documents that has to be done in the US. At best the process takes a few months. Without someone helping you (either an immigration lawyer or or experienced friend or fixer) you may leave ARG before you get it! Please research "DNI/residency"
threads in this forum to give you more aggravating but realistic information.

GuilleeGee, the rules are different I.e. If you are other merco-sur much easier than coming from US. Also if you are married to an Argentine, child of Argentines it's much easier and faster. I have never heard of the process being as simple as one visit for any other North American not married to or born to Argentines...I congratulate you and your great success...however as you would know, just getting documents apostiled and your FBI fingerprint card done takes weeks when initiated in a foreign country, unless you knew to bring it all with you before you arrived....!

You can just "get" a DNI if you come here from a non-mercosur country. You have to quailify either by having passive income from outside of the country, an employment contract from a company with an Argentine affiliate or native Argentine company, or have retirement income from outside of Argentina. There are some other categories as well. You really should read through the migracones website to see if you qualify for any type of residency.

>Once I got married, it took one trip to the Immigrations office and 2 months later I had the card in the mail.<

Yes, it is same anywhere else, once you marry that target countrie's citizen, it is much easier to acquire the necessary status.

Back