So if you had a chance to bring 5 things with you to BA

Johnno said:
Oh - and if you have a particular brand of cigars/cigarellos you like I think that definitely makes sense too

There are a couple of MASSIVE cigar stores in the microcenter. One is on Reconquista just South (towards Plaza de Mayo) from The Kilkenny. And I think that the other one is on Suipacha around Paraguay.

I don't remember the names and I think that I packed their business cards away in my "Turismo" box for moving, but they're big.

Tea tree oil cosmetics (skincare, haircare, etc.)
DVDs of my favorite movies
Almonds (available, but SO expensive in BA)
Athletic shoes
Decent coffee

I second the can opener in soo many ways, but the non-electric kitchen appliance I use way more is my easy, “winged” (1) WINE BOTTLE OPENER. I imported one in my suitcase after breaking the METAL part of TWO Argentine winged corkscrews inside the cork. The cheaper corkscrews here that require leverage seem to be sturdier, but they take more effort. I want my Argentine wine fast and easy.

I also second your favorite (2a) SHEETS and a couple nice bath and hand (2b) TOWELS if you are moving here for a while which will cheer up your bathroom and bed and make you feel at home.

And if you will be here in the Argentine summer, some good MOSQUITO REPELLANT to wear INSIDE your apartment or bug candles. You can also buy little devices for your home here. Most buildings don't have screens except in the most ritziest places in town. And you can hear and feel the mosquitos pursuing you at night. Ew!

Twizzlers or some of your favorite (3) TREATS-it’s nice to have your favorite sweet treats squirreled away when you are having a homesick moment, (4) deodorant, (5) vitamins (SUPER expensive here).

I also second running shoes!

Napoleon said:
He/She is coming for the summer. Wouldn't you add PIMM'S to the list?

You're right, to the long term ex-pat Pimms and the many items posted here are welcome treats.

If you are summering here though, hell, this isn't base camp Mt. Everest; all you need is already here (-immediately starts dreaming of Malbec and Steak-).

--------------------------------------------------
Everything listed in this thread is wanting in Arge, the problem is persuading friends/relatives to bring them if you can first persuade them to make the trip to visit you waaaay down here.

rrptownley said:
You're right, to the long term ex-pat Pimms and the many items posted here are welcome treats.

If you are summering here though, hell, this isn't base camp Mt. Everest; all you need is already here (-immediately starts dreaming of Malbec and Steak-).

--------------------------------------------------
Everything listed in this thread is wanting in Arge, the problem is persuading friends/relatives to bring them if you can first persuade them to make the trip to visit you waaaay down here.

Good steak sauce, great wine glasses, lots of condoms...

1)LCD TV
2)Laptop
3)Ipod
4)Hi Fi equipment
5)Toilet Paper

Miscellaneous:

Curry, Hot spices and any thing that tastes hot.
Pans and Pots.
Knives, only if you like to cook.
Marmite or Vegemite or whatever your fetishes are.
Peanut butter, creamy or crunchy. (here what looks like the same but isn't is the Dulce de Leche, be aware)
Good American, NY or Chicago Pizzas, only if you are mad for good quality pizzas.
Maple syrup for hot cakes.
Tortilla corn flour, and all ingredients you can find to fill them up.
Patience, lots of it.
Cranberry juice
French bread (Baguette) if you like bread and only if you're French, if not give it a miss.
Real Guinness beer, if you're Irish if not don't bother.
Milk, important if you are sensible to skin rashes.
Shampoo, any type to avoid loosing your last surviving bunch of hair.
Bottled water if you want to keep whatever teeth you have left.
And more patience than understanding of what is going around.

I learned the hard way to bring a spare pair of glasses (if the are needed) and a spare cheap cell phone. They are items that are a P.I.T.A. to replace down here. A small GPS would be cool but sort of over doing it. Make sure your cell phones are unlocked before you arrive.

Back