So I'm at Ezeiza with US$25,000

esllou

Registered
...and I'm supposed to declare it.

I tell the nice customs guy "hey, jose, I have 25,000 dollars under my wooly hat".

Now what's going to happen to me as a UK citizen at that point? Once you've declared you're carrying over the 10k limit, what happens?

My guess is that they'll want to know the source of the money; is it from property sales, etc.

If I play dumb and say "I saved it", etc, could/would they actually confiscate it?

has anyone ever declared excess dollars when leaving the country?

(I realise declaring dollars at ezeiza is right up there with what bruce willis did at start of Die Hard 3 in Harlem)

I dont know the answer - but I would really love to see someone who does. bump

Mmm, and if you just don't declare it?? Do you see the dollar-sniffing dogs anywhere?

I really hope you're a party of 3 adults.

What I do not know is if that 10k figure is something valid just in the US or almost everywhere else.

If you declare it, expect to pay a tax on it. I don't think declaring means they just let you walk out with it especially when they're trying to prevent capital flight. :p Sorry I don't know what the percent is, but it's probably not good.

Reactions: tez
The dogs are not sniffing for dollars....I was just in EZE and they walked right pass me. If you declare it,,you will lose it. They will tax it for sure. Put it in your money belt. You will have more trouble when you enter the UK or the USA..thats when you have a big decision to make, declare it or not! Good Luck.
Just FYI, everyone gets a pat down at customs, so I would not hide on your body. Place it in your jacket or carry one.

If you send me a PM, I will put you in touch with someone who can wire out $15K of your funds. You can then leave EZE with just $10K.

That's going to be easier than risking it at the airport, don't you think?

Iznogud said:
I really hope you're a party of 3 adults.

What I do not know is if that 10k figure is something valid just in the US or almost everywhere else.

It's pretty much everwhere, or at least everywhere I remember filling out the customs form.

For everything you have over the 10k limit they can either tax or take it if they think the money is coming from fraudulent sources... now how this all goes down in Ezeiza I'm not sure... I suspect they'd just take it or suggest you pay a coima.

Reactions: Zed
Back