So this is that famous inflation yall been talking about

SecretShopper

Registered
Last night I went to a restaurant that I often eat at and noticed that half the items on the menu raised in price by a whopping 40 percent. Wow! I've never seen anything like that from a "one day to the next" deal.

Don't eat out often but I did last week and the menu prices have shot up like crazy. Still not as expensive as the US but now I don't feel like Jeff Bezos anymore =(

I've only been here a few months, but I'm noticing that inflation affects some things more than others. Coca-Cola seems to hold steady, whereas beer is subject to inflation. Wine doesn't seem that bad, but coffee bounces all over the place. One day this brand has an inflated price while another brand doesn't, until eventually they all catch up.

I've only been here a few months, but I'm noticing that inflation affects some things more than others. Coca-Cola seems to hold steady, whereas beer is subject to inflation. Wine doesn't seem that bad, but coffee bounces all over the place. One day this brand has an inflated price while another brand doesn't, until eventually they all catch up.
Many items are priced controlled by the government. Coca Cola is one of them as it is a basic food needed for Arg survival. The basic (and illegal in most of the world) coffee might be cost controlled.... But quality coffee is a luxury and can vary greatly.

Don't eat out often but I did last week and the menu prices have shot up like crazy. Still not as expensive as the US but now I don't feel like Jeff Bezos anymore =(
I eat out often so I'm noticing everything. I've seen a lot of 20 percent increases but that 40 percent increase was shocking. I also notice on this forum a lot that people experience something crazy like a 50 percent rent increase each year or that it could increase 30 percent every 6 months or something. Considering that rent in Puerto Madero starts around 1500 to get something decent, I couldn't imagine paying those increases. That would put it in line with many major US cities. Another reason why I'm not signing a long term lease.

I eat out often so I'm noticing everything. I've seen a lot of 20 percent increases but that 40 percent increase was shocking. I also notice on this forum a lot that people experience something crazy like a 50 percent rent increase each year or that it could increase 30 percent every 6 months or something. Considering that rent in Puerto Madero starts around 1500 to get something decent, I couldn't imagine paying those increases. That would put it in line with many major US cities. Another reason why I'm not signing a long term lease.
Mine was 48% in Sept. Dictated by the gov

Mine was 48% in Sept. Dictated by the gov
Wow! If my rent jumped from 1600 to 2400 I'd move. This is why when I actually tried to do a 6 month short term lease they all tried to push it to 2 years. I'll stick to my monthly arrangement. If they want to raise the price 50 percent that's fine because I'm not in a lease and I can just move.

Many items are priced controlled by the government. Coca Cola is one of them as it is a basic food needed for Arg survival. The basic (and illegal in most of the world) coffee might be cost controlled.... But quality coffee is a luxury and can vary greatly.
Thanks for that clarification. I wish it were only quality coffee I was referring to. Even the less expensive coffee with added sugar is subject to inflation; not just the 100% pure coffee. Same brand for both - Cabrales. That sugar added to the grounds isn't luxury in my book, but coffee's a staple, like mate to Argentinians. Not that I think govt. pricing controls should reflect what I consider to be a basic food needed for my survival. I should probably put that in the 'What you miss from the US' thread. Coffee, beans, plenty of them, with variety and decently priced.

Wow! If my rent jumped from 1600 to 2400 I'd move. This is why when I actually tried to do a 6 month short term lease they all tried to push it to 2 years. I'll stick to my monthly arrangement. If they want to raise the price 50 percent that's fine because I'm not in a lease and I can just move.
So a lease here means that the price of rent isn't locked in for the term of the lease? The only thing locked in is your obligation to stay, or at least pay, for the duration of the lease whatever it is the landlord decides to charge?

I've been wondering how that's all handled here. I get a landlord's need to keep their rent current with inflation, but can they just jack the rent to whatever they want at anytime during the lease?

So a lease here means that the price of rent isn't locked in for the term of the lease? The only thing locked in is your obligation to stay, or at least pay, for the duration of the lease whatever it is the landlord decides to charge?

I've been wondering how that's all handled here. I get a landlord's need to keep their rent current with inflation, but can they just jack the rent to whatever they want at anytime during the lease?
I will have to let someone else speak on that. I've never signed a lease here. But if I interpreted correctly from other threads, semi annual rent increases are sanctioned. I don't know how it all works or even if I'm reading it correctly.

Back