Something Is Fishy In Argentina

lentils are delicious and have like 20g of protein per serving. Just make sure you soak them for a few hours and then rinse them well. I also agree with lacoqueta The Salmon is quite good. I've always found very good fresh salmon at my local carrefour market.
You are getting farmed salmon from Chili at Carrefour

Try fish from the barrio chino . Go Tues or Thurs ,the selection is freshest then. You will be able to pick up and bag the fish yourself so if you sense an odour put it back. So far I have been pleased . Reason I say this is that you need to figure out when they get their stocks.Fish on a Monday is awful noone seems to go to Mercado central then ,Tues id the big stock up day with Thurs seeing some more variety coming in for the Fri fish feast for the few.
Turkey will be coming into the stores in November time but only on special request in a granja. Coto sells frozen lamb and turkey (female) frozen.
Cold cut : Sadia has pavita turkey light in some fiambrerias,also there is matambre de pollo to make the chicken thing more varied.

You are getting farmed salmon from Chili at Carrefour

I was getting farmed Salmon from some Scandinavian country in Texas. What am I supposed to do about that? Is it ideal? No. But we're all eating GMO stuff and a lot of undesirables anyway.

Just thought you would like to know. Anyway, most of the fish markets will lie to you and sell farmed as fresh. It's difficult to get good fish here. Find me some real grouper please.

Just thought you would like to know. Anyway, most of the fish markets will lie to you and sell farmed as fresh. It's difficult to get good fish here. Find me some real grouper please.

Farmed or Fresh Salmon ...?? Farmed is not Fresh? All Chilean and Norwegian Salmon is Farmed,. In what country is Free Range Salmon Fished????

The best source for fish I have found is the local "neighborhood market" that rotates in the city. In San Telmo it is every Saturday and Tuesday. The city government puts it on so you need to check their website.
For 60 pesos you can get a kilo of merluza/pink salmon hamburgers which are very good.
I always look at what is fresh but I have bought red tuna for 45 pesos the kilo (NOT tuna del sur, which is albacore, don´t buy it), they don´t have it all the time, suribi (river fish, smells awful when you cook it but very yummy) and merluza negra. You need to pick and choose.

I bought whole Bersugo ( Pacific Snapper) from Jumbo in Pilar yesterday . Although most of them where under size it was really good and fresh.

When checking the fish lift the gill plates to make sure they are still nice and pink (not grey and slimy), also look at the eyes and make sure they are not sunk in or cloudy.

You can marinate Snapper in a plastic bag with lemon juice in the fridge for 2 hours then cover with coconut creme and eat it raw. ( Delicious)

Pescaderia Mellino brings fish fresh from Mar del Plata and they even have their own fishing boats, their prices are reasonable and everything is super fresh. I do not buy fish from supermarkets, except for Jumbo Palermo. The rest is a disgrace. San Antonio and Regente and Ostramar are three good places, but most fish is imported or frozen. Tuesdays and Wednesdays at Barrio Chino when it is fresh.
This being said, you can get very good lamb from some butcher stores, and rabbit.
My oldest son is vegan: carbs + legumes make good vegetable protein, that is a must!

ghost, I guess there's a silver lining

Contaminants are also found in the flesh of farmed salmon.[sup][25][/sup] A 2004 study, reported in Science, analysed farmed and wild salmon for organochlorine contaminants. They found the contaminants were higher in farmed salmon. Within the farmed salmon, European (particularly Scottish) salmon had the highest levels, and Chilean salmon the lowest.[sup][26][/sup]

Back