Soon To Be Expat From Texas

You sound more prepared for a move to BA than anyone I've ever encountered on this forum. Somebody give this guy a medal. I can't blame you for wanting to leave Austin. I think it's a great place, but it ain't what it was, and yeah, for high culture it's not the place to be (in Texas you've gotta go to Houston if you want a good symphony, ballet, etc.) Austin is a lot of jeans, bars and food trucks.

I can't see you having any real problems until your savings run out and/or your parents decide to stop bankrolling you. Suddenly being dependent on nothing but an Argentine peso income is a big test for a lot of people in terms of whether they stay or not.

Most people stop teaching English here fairly quickly and find another job through connections. That, or they start their own thing. Teaching English here sucks and the pay is bad, but you will learn the city and the culture so very, very fast doing it. And students with whom you have a good relationship are great contacts to have. Everyone always knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who can help you out with all sorts of things. Bring up the polo stuff with students (but not too early on; you have to be a person of confianza) and see where it gets you.

The plan is not so much to stay until my savings run out. I'd like to hit the ground running with at least some hours and work my way up. Since I don't have to pay rent, I'd like to make enough to cover basic food and necessities. After that, it's just a matter of taking advantage of as many free opportunities as possible. I'd like to work as if I had nothing and needed to survive.

I guess I just need enough pesos to cook at home and take the bus to free/cheap things (occasional fancier things).

Despacito por la piedra es mi filosofia. Hay mucha logistica que tengo que organizar para segurar mi exito

Despacito por la piedra es mi filosofia. Hay mucha logistica que tengo que organizar para segurar mi exito

Oye Luisito, estais pretendiendo manifestar en Tex-Mechicano lenguaje?...Cuando shegues al pais de la parrishada, teneis que re-aprender el castellano de nuevo! La gran Argentina te va a ashurar cuando shegues. Ha,ha,ha
solo bromeo, no lo tomeis en serio... Teneis una buena cabeza para ser joven!

Back