Soon To Be Expat From Texas

Luis, I like you attitude! I don't know that many people so passionate about literature, that is really cool. As long as you know that you have some savings to back you up and all that, you are OK - you can always leave if things don't work out! As for hospitality industry work, there are quite a lot of Colombians etc. working in bars but I see people from other countries too, including Americans and Italians. En negro and not well paid, but if you have a cheap place, cook at home, take the bus etc. you should be fine. Tourist guides are more often Argentine in my experience, but there are different opportunities for foreigners as well.

Teaching languages I generally think pays not very well (60-100 pesos for a private class is what I hear) but it is an option, and it pays better if you get into teaching at a school I think, but harder to do en negro.

Lots of Texan dove hunters pass through BA on their way to Cordoba. There might be some service you could offer to them along with the polo players.

As far as cultural enrichment goes... I currently live in Austin, Texas. I do not think this city is very sophisticated in its tastes for music or art. I think I am more likely to find public performances of Moliere in BsAs than in Austin. Once I arrive, you can be sure to find me at El Ateneo in a corner most nights and days.

I just moved from Buenos Aires to Austin, and I agree with you 100%. Austin definitely has a more provincial feel and attitude.

I miss sitting in cafes, reading and watching people. You can find much better places than El Ateneo, however.

Asleep at the Wheel, Texas Tornados, Robert Earl Keen, Flaco Jiménez - what more could you want?

Flaco and the Tornados are from San Antonio, but I understand your point. However, those aren't the types of groups you hear every night in a bar. If you are into blues rock, then this is the place to be. Beyond that, not much.

I found the music to be more interesting and innovative in Buenos Aires, at least for what I like.

Yeah. The tagline 'MUSIC CAPITAL OF THE WORLD' is no longer relevant. Maybe in the days of Stevie Ray Vaughn, but now all I hear in Austin's bars and venues are good, but not great musicians who are mainly slackers. Austin also has a peculiar addiction to alcohol. There are so many opportunities and excuses to drink here every night. The city is trying to sell a charm that it has long since lost precisely because so many have bought it. This city will be nothing but high rise condos filed with annoying tech geeks and former frat bro's turned real estate landlords, and the east side will be slowly gentrified into more high rise condos. But there's alot of food and alcohol to keep people happy, I suppose.

Flaco and the Tornados are from San Antonio, but I understand your point. However, those aren't the types of groups you hear every night in a bar. If you are into blues rock, then this is the place to be. Beyond that, not much.

I found the music to be more interesting and innovative in Buenos Aires, at least for what I like.

Doug Sahm was in Austin for a long time, and I know Flaco's from San Antonio, but they all have a presence in Austin.

Yeah. The tagline 'MUSIC CAPITAL OF THE WORLD' is no longer relevant. Maybe in the days of Stevie Ray Vaughn, but now all I hear in Austin's bars and venues are good, but not great musicians who are mainly slackers.

It's actually the "LIVE Music Capital of the World" and that's pretty accurate. Austin is "gentrifying", yes, hopefully the "keep austin weird" campaign well, keeps it weird and that there will always be a focus on mom and pop shops. But of course as more people move there it will change and condos and corporations will follow

Back