Sour Cream

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hi,

I'm fairly certain sour cream isn't available in Buenos Aires, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a similar product or know of a recipe that produces something comparable? I was looking up recipes and it seems like I need buttermilk as a base. Is that sold here?

Thanks!

Buy your usual cream at the supermarket and mix it with yoghurt (the natural sour, unflavored type). Add salt and lemon juice to your taste. For me this works better than trying to find a local product somewhere in BA.

I think casancrem light is a pretty good match (light for the flavor, it's closer), although it's a touch thicker than sour cream. I have both baked with it and eaten it with food I make at home (fajitas, soups, etc) and am happy with the results. I actually once bought mendicrem 0% fat without paying attention and baked with it and the cake was excellent!

I'm eating some Mendicrim (el original) right now and it's as close as I've tasted to Sour Cream. (I haven't tried the 0% fat version.)

Mendicrim is MUCH CLOSER to sour cream than CasanCrem. Do not consider buying CasanCrem for sour cream recipes. Just don't.

Sou rcream is Mendicrim in Argentina. Unless you are a sophisticated Sour cream consumer, you won't tell the difference.

cadamo said:
Sou rcream is Mendicrim in Argentina. Unless you are a sophisticated Sour cream consumer, you won't tell the difference.

I didn't realize we were "sophisticated sour cream consumers". LOL. ;)
Mendicrem, CasanCrem, Finlandia, etc. do not taste like sour cream to us. They are too sweet and taste more like cream cheese. But it seems there are serious differences in taste on this issue. Everyone will have to do what works for them and what it's being used for.

Agree with Mini... Mendicrim and Casancrem are nothing like sour cream (to me they are pretty much flavorless spreadable cream substance), and finlandia is my substitute for cream cheese. What Saturnine says is my motto--the yogur escurrido is by far the best substitute, and adding lemon juice and salt to one of the other creamy aforementioned substitute will yield a decent approximation of sour cream. :)

Back