Spanish Citizenship Advice

ben

Registered
Hi all!

I wanted to solicit the collective knowledge and wisdom of BAExpats - does anyone here know of someone who can give reliable advice concerning Spanish citizenship?
To echo a memorable thread on this forum, the person being suggested can be a lawyer, but must be someone who actually knows what he's talking about in this field.
Thanks all!

IN GENERAL, IN ORDER TO OBTAIN IT YOU HAVE TO HAVE SPANISH-BORN RELATIVES, LIKE PARENTS OR MAYBE EVEN GRAND-PARENTS.
I HEARD THAT RECENTLY THE SPANISH GOVERMENT WILL OFFER IT TO SEFARADIC (ORIENTAL)JEWS, TO EXPUNGE THE CRIME OF THEIR EXPULSION IN 1492.

There are private agencies that specialize in this. Maybe the Spanish consulate can recommend one.

The final date for those who were seeking Spanish nationality as relatives of people who left Spain after the Civil War has now passed.

In theory nationality is now only available to sons or daughters of people born in Spain - However it could depend who processes your papers at the Consulate.

If you have any concrete questions fir away and I will try and steer you in the right direction.

Thanks everyone. I'll throw in an example of the questions I'm seeking to clarify: if someone is/was born in territory under Spanish control at the time (say, Spanish Morocco), would they be eligible for Spanish citizenship?

Thanks everyone. I'll throw in an example of the questions I'm seeking to clarify: if someone is/was born in territory under Spanish control at the time (say, Spanish Morocco), would they be eligible for Spanish citizenship?

You don't qualify for Spanish citizenship in the above case.

You can get citizenship if you are a "natural born" (i.e. you were born an Argentine or Chilean for example) citizen of one of the countries in Ibero-America (and Morocco is not part of Ibero-America), but even in this case you need to live in Spain for 2 years.

You may be fishing in the dark here I'm afraid.

If one or both of your parents were Spanish citizens then you may stand a chance but otherwise you might as well forget about it.

You don't qualify for Spanish citizenship in the above case.

You can get citizenship if you are a "natural born" (i.e. you were born an Argentine or Chilean for example) citizen of one of the countries in Ibero-America (and Morocco is not part of Ibero-America), but even in this case you need to live in Spain for 2 years.

I wonder if being born in Texas would qualify.

Re: SIX FLAGS OVER TEXAS:
Six Flags Over Texas is the slogan used to describe the six nations that have had sovereignty over some or all of the current territory of the U.S. stateof Texas.

The first flag belonged to Spain, which ruled most of Texas from 1519 to 1685 and from 1690 to 1821.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_flags_over_Texas

Both parents of the person I'm asking about were local - and thus living under Spanish protection/jurisdiction/control - at the time of birth.

Re Texas, the analogous example would be someone born in Texas in 1800.

At any rate - does someone here know of anyone proficient - beyond educated layman's knowledge - in Spanish nationality law?

Both parents of the person I'm asking about were local - and thus living under Spanish protection/jurisdiction/control - at the time of birth.

At any rate - does someone here know of anyone proficient - beyond educated layman's knowledge - in Spanish nationality law?

Are you talking about El Aiun?

Or somewhere else in Spanish Morocco?

There may be an argument , depending on date of birth.

Spanish Consulate will be able to advise - not sure an Argentine lawyer would knows the ins and outs of this part of the law.

Ben,

This isn't just conjecture. The Moroccans weren't afforded the same citizenship rights as those in Latin America, for example. Like I said, you are fishing in the dark and if you want to continue with it, then good luck.

Even if this persons' parents were, at the time, under Spanish rule, THEY WOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED SPANIARDS. Unless they decided to move to Spain before Morocco ceased to be a protectorate of Spain.

This shouldn't be that hard to understand but I guess you or whoever else you're asking about is hell bent on proving that he/she is somehow eligible for Spanish citizenship...so like I said, good luck.

Back