Speedy and no where to turn

You can quite easily pick up a wireless router yourself as Jim said. I bought a very good one for around 400 pesos.

I feel your pain - I live all of 10 minutes from Acceso Oeste and there is not 1 provider here. I have to use Claro via satellite. Guess how slow my connection is:rolleyes::mad:

Ok guys well this is really helpful! Honestly, I know nothing about this stuff and so never even considered this option. If you could recommend a good wireless router and where you bought it, that would be great! Thanks again.

allcraz said:
Ok guys well this is really helpful! Honestly, I know nothing about this stuff and so never even considered this option. If you could recommend a good wireless router and where you bought it, that would be great! Thanks again.

I would look at Cisco. I brought mine from Dubai so couldn't help you on where to get it. Maybe compumundo or something?

Also, if this is for telecentro, they do not use regular Ethernet cables, at least not in our area. They use some other kinda cable that I do not know the name of (fiber optics?). Anyway, the router needs to have a hole for the pin to go in.

Bla bla, I need coffee.

;)

nicoenarg said:
They use some other kinda cable that I do not know the name of (fiber optics?).

I believe it is a TV Cable :)

Anyway, get a regular internet for a single computer. Telecentro will give you a cablemodem. There is a cable that goes from the modem to your computer. You need to connect it to a router instead. If it does not look like standard internet cable, take it with you to the store were you are going to buy the router.

The best place to buy computer stuff here is Caleria Jardin @ 500 block of Florida. Cisco wireless routers are generally good, Trendnet is a viable alternative.

any of the new tp-link router that advertise extended range and speed are very simple to install and work very well once installed

Does your internet work ok when you're plugged in (is it just a wifi problem) or does the service cut out all together?
We use a cisco router (works very well - I think my husband got ours from Galerias Jardin) with Fibertel... Sometimes we don't get the bandwidth that we pay for (most of the time, actually) but it very rarely cuts out.
Given that other wifi in your building works, I'd look at the router first...If not, I'd ask your neighbours what service they're using.
You can also buy those 3G sticks here to plug into your computer. They're not great for downloading anything but work ok if you just want to check emails, etc. They're about 150 pesos per month. I've tried the Movistar and the Claro ones and they both work fine.

Thank you Ashley, and everyone. We now have confirmation that Speedy is in fact the ONLY internet provider at our address. Just to double confirm, I found this webpage: http://www.welcomesantelmo.com/answers/63/CUAL-OPERADORA-DE-INTERNET-HAY-EN-SAN-TELMO/ It's all people either on or within a few blocks from us. Neighbors don't have anything different and aren't loving it. At this point I'm thinking that the only short-term solution are the mobile internet sticks. I'm glad to hear that everyone who has mentioned them has been satisfied with them.

I wanted to share what seems to be a happy ending (or at least nicer than the beginning.) I eventually called Telefonica to have them send someone to check out the telephone wiring. No one came. I called both Speedy AND Telefonica again yesterday and magically, a technician from Telefonica called back an hour later saying he could be at the apt. in 1 hour. He was the ONLY one who had ever asked for the key to get up on the roof. Up he goes, and he finds (courtesy of our tenants):
tel%2520wire.jpg

Why Speedy never thought of going up to the roof is anyone's guess. As you might imagine, internet seems to be working much better, and as a backup plan, the neighbors were kind enough to give us their WiFi password (although they did claim that they, too, have problems.) Anyway, YAY! Thanks again for your suggestions and input!

Gee, that photo looks liks some electrical wiring I found in an apartment I rented years ago when I first moved here. A very elegant building I might add.....just says....When in Rome(or Buenos Aires) .......have an electrician check your wiring!!!!!

Back