Spending Pesos Abroad

Those might just be rumors. But, when vacation time comes, dec 15-feb 30, I would be pretty surprised if the government was still allowing unlimited credit card purchases abroad. In that scenario, why would anyone stay in argentina for vacation, when it would be way cheaper to go anywhere else? I remember a friend of mine from venezuela in college used to run around offering people money so he could use their foreign purchase limits to pay for things while he was in college in the US. I hope that is not where Argentina is headed. A scenario of 25% inflation, shrinking GDP, and stricter currency controls does not seem too appealing...

jjsto said:
Those might just be rumors. But, when vacation time comes, dec 15-feb 30, I would be pretty surprised if the government was still allowing unlimited credit card purchases abroad. In that scenario, why would anyone stay in argentina for vacation, when it would be way cheaper to go anywhere else? I remember a friend of mine from venezuela in college used to run around offering people money so he could use their foreign purchase limits to pay for things while he was in college in the US. I hope that is not where Argentina is headed. A scenario of 25% inflation, shrinking GDP, and stricter currency controls does not seem too appealing...

I agree with you, but can you imagine how people would freak out if they did anything like that? I can expect anything from the Ks tho.

nikad said:
I agree with you, but can you imagine how people would freak out if they did anything like that? I can expect anything from the Ks tho.

It was done in the 1980s and during a short period of time in 2002... and this government loves to bring things from the past...

Hard to find anyone that is willing to be quoted or cited in a piece/article anymore. If the government does not like what you said, they will come down on you like stink on s--t. The record speaks for itself. Govern by fear and the constant threat of retaliation.

nikad said:

Yeah its a scary scenario indeed. About 2 people start banging pots around 6PM on a Thursday and then go home around 9PM. I don't expect people here to do anything. This is the numbest populace I have ever come across.

nicoenarg said:
This is the numbest populace I have ever come across.
Indeed, people protest/strike for the lamest of reasons: burn a bus because it is five minutes late. However, government guts your livelihood, not a pot or pan to be heard. Really do not understand. Guess there is truth in the phrase "people will get a government they deserve."

A bit late on this but just read the thread - as of last month when my husband and I returned from our honeymoon in Europe we had no problems at all with limits/using our Argentine cc in stores and online. They converted EUR to ARG at the official rate and we paid in pesos once back. Hope this continues... (dedos cruzados..)

Reactions: Hop
Back