Starbucks Vs A Good Old Cafeteria.

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned and stuck in the 80s lol.
or the 70s...............

Use cream of tartar to stabilize -- same as a meringue.

I was under the impression that cream of tartar is heat activated. I remember I used that only once and it had to beat on high but while on heat. It was for a cupcake frosting by Martha Steward, the result was between whipped cream and a meringue, vaguely spongy.

What's the dose?

How about agar agar to stabilize? (a vegetable gelatin) We've used in place of other stabilizers, thickeners. (But I have no idea if it would well work in this application).

I was under the impression that cream of tartar is heat activated. I remember I used that only once and it had to beat on high but while on heat. It was for a cupcake frosting by Martha Steward, the result was between whipped cream and a meringue, vaguely spongy.

What's the dose?

Cream of tartar is not heat activated.

Also, in my modest experience you might want to try the following, if you can't get decent results:
  • Cool down your bowl and whiskers some hours before using them
  • Add a level teaspoon of starch for each 500 ml of cream (it acts as a stiffener)
  • Get better whiskers
  • Beat on high for a short period of time or it will turn into butter
Now I am gonna prep a cup of hot chocolate! The starch is the secret for that, as well. :D

I agree, use the 500 ml container of cream. Also, put your beater and bowl in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes prior to whipping the cream. Be sure that the container of cream is cold. I've had always great results with heavy cream here. As well, if you like sweetened cream, add powdered sugar during the whipping process.

Starbucks is a very good lounge franchise. Can t wait yo see their transition into hotel by the hour. They offer comfy furniture, clean restrooms, connectivity, power plugs and a smile even in the most hostile of environments.
I had no idea they claimed to put coffee in their caramel milkshakes. Most hotels of their callibre would have conplimentary nespresso machines.

Nothing better than a cortado served in a old school cafe, from a career waiter pushing 60, impeccably mannered, and all the time in the world to sit in your elegant surroundings and watch the world go by.

Sadly, I've drank more cups of burned brown filth than I care to mention. So whilst I'm not a fan of expensive Starbucks gloop, and their somewhat risky "cafe del dia" it's a safer port in a storm than picking a random cafeteria and hoping to get something you can entertain drinking without sugar. Each to their own, but as a personal rule, if you can't drink it without sugar, you shouldn't be drinking it at all. And if you like drinking coffee with three sugars, good for you. Stick a dollop of icecream and a chorizo in it while you're at it.

I've 86ed Starbucks over 2 years ago in favour of Cafe Martinez. They make a half decent club sandwich too.

New Starbucks in Jumbo Palermo. Nice place to meet up or hang out

Reactions: ben
Back