Start Up Meet Up

Another vote of interest here :)

I'm a techie dev type - definitely *not* an entrepreneur though (I've tried it, and I was just bad at it!)

Interested in keeping abreast of how this develops with a view to getting involved at a later date (I'm fully committed elsewhere at the moment)

For years, I've thought about starting my own consulting company and hiring talent in Argentina. However, I don't even know where to start in the US. Argentina would be the "easy" part.

I'll be in town from August 9 to Sept 9. If you have the meeting during that time, I would be interested.

Would be important to define precise skills we can offer & summarize them somewhere (even if I don't create anything, I'd be glad to help in what I know best).
Also, a platform (restricted access?) could be nice to communicate online (I rarely go to Capital but I can if needed)

ok, will suggests dates later for baexpats start up meet up, which of course will be free. Have to clarify as per the terms of the forum that we wont br charging. We have the option of opening a separate forum on here, lets meet up and see how we feel.

This is a timely post! I have a few ideas involving app programming (for iOS and Android), but I lack of technical skills and I don't know anybody working in this field.

In short, my ideas are for the following apps:
  • an animated ebook for children (I need: a programmer, someone able to draw, someone able to do animations; I have: the wording and some sketches)
  • a sort of text editor to read tagged text files and to display this text as a 2-column table (I need: a programmer, someone doing the GUI; I have: full tech specs ready, an open source desktop software doing the same)
  • an app to match your clothes to recreate styles from fashion magazines (I need: a programmer, someone who can create a code to index large image databases to be compared with the user's wardrobe; I have: some ideas)
Besides that, I am also looking for:
  • a copy writer to polish/fix my website and bring it to professional standard and do some SEO
  • someone who can design me a business card (I already have something in mind, but I can't draw)
Please note that I don't intend to start a business in Argentina, these things would be dealt with in the US. However if you do know freelancers in Argentina doing this kind of work, I would appreciate if you could get in touch.

Ron, I really just recommend that if you are selling your product in the USA or first world especially, that you skip the SEO at the beginning. SEO is extremely laborious due to Google's latest penguin updates and therefore expensive. It is probably not cost effective for you, unless you are going to do it in Argentina and do it with a few long tail keywords. I run a digital marketing company with clients here in Argentina and also in the US/around the world, and we recommend to our clients that they never start with SEO first. It's better to start with Adwords, and then once you get plenty of conversion and keyword data, you will know which keywords are good for SEO. The order for internet marketing for a start up or small business should be something like this: Adwords, Re-marketing, Display, email marketing, and then SEO. Adwords is cost effective, because if done right and optimized, you can see an immediate ROI. Feel free to put any questions you have here or send me a personal message.

Maybe I could go to the meeting and give everyone some insight.

A good hint: A better option than a web page is to create landing pages with dynamic text per ad group in Adwords and then do A/B testing. This is an extremely effective strategy to get higher conversions.

Ron, I really just recommend that if you are selling your product in the USA or first world especially, that you skip the SEO at the beginning. SEO is extremely laborious due to Google's latest penguin updates and therefore expensive. It is probably not cost effective for you, unless you are going to do it in Argentina and do it with a few long tail keywords. I run a digital marketing company with clients here in Argentina and also in the US/around the world, and we recommend to our clients that they never start with SEO first. It's better to start with Adwords, and then once you get plenty of conversion and keyword data, you will know which keywords are good for SEO. The order for internet marketing for a start up or small business should be something like this: Adwords, Re-marketing, Display, email marketing, and then SEO. Adwords is cost effective, because if done right and optimized, you can see an immediate ROI. Feel free to put any questions you have here or send me a personal message.

Maybe I could go to the meeting and give everyone some insight.

A good hint: A better option than a web page is to create landing pages with dynamic text per ad group in Adwords and then do A/B testing. This is an extremely effective strategy to get higher conversions.

Tex, it would be really interesting to here someone speaking about SEO, if you are willing and interested in doing so I am sure we would be all ears. Got to clear a few things off my to do list here then I'll suggest times & dates.

I am very interested in this topic and would gladly participate in all its activities.
Noesdeayer.

Suggested Date: Aug 7th, 7pm.

Venue: Looks like we might be 15+, which is excellent. I have a potential venue, no charge, which I would like to confirm in the next couple of days. Hoping to ensure we have a decent space to meet and discuss without to much interaction with the public.

Proposed Agenda:

Intros
  • Background, skills, as much or as little as you'd like to divulge.
  • Short summary of any ideas you have in progress
  • Round of feedback on any ideas pitched (short & sweet)
Spot for a presentation:

I would hold a short space here for anyone who'd like to share any particular skill they have. Tex mentioned SEO for example; if anyone feels like they would like to present without any pressure or obligation I would be very enthusiastic to here. In one of the classes I took with the city we had a guy come in and talk about sustainability, which was genuinely interesting. If anyone has started a business and wants to talk about pitfallls that would be useful too. Please, contact me via PM if you would like to take a short spot to talk to the group.

Break Out Sessions:

I would suggest, if the space we have allows, breaking off into smaller more focused groups if there any immediately evident synergies. Techies can pair up, Foodies can talk restaurants etc, might as well take advantage of any synergies that exist,

Wrap Up:

Did you get anything out of this?
Let's talk about meeting again and how we want to organise?

Again, to confirm: No charge for entry. As we are organising via this forum we meet under the guise of BA Expats and can potentially organise a new forum section should we have interest.

Back