Start Up Meet Up

OK folks, unfortunately the exp<b></b>ressions of interest didn't materialise into confirmations.

I will postpone and go back to the drawing board. In the meantime the Start Up forum is open and I will post some stuff there which will be in Spanish and/or English (not always both!) which I've picked up as part of my initial forays into the start up world...some of it via a short course I took with the city which I recommend to anyone with a DNI who speaks reasonable Spanish. Follow them on twitter, BA Emprende for more info.

For those with any questions about SEO, Adwords, digital marketing, .etc, feel free to send me a personal message at any point.

Just to let you know what put me off on actually registering:
1) putting my info like passport/DNI # on web
2) the possibility/probability of power point presentations on specific technical subjects

note: on 2, seems to me a meeting about startups should be talking generic startup questions about things like legal issues and company structures and supply lines for both goods and employees not technical details of a particular business.

note: on 2, seems to me a meeting about startups should be talking generic startup questions about things like legal issues and company structures and supply lines for both goods and employees not technical details of a particular business.

It was my understanding that this was not an informative session on how to start up a business in BA, but rather an occasion to meet with other people with which you might share a business interest. The Power Point was just to have something in writing to display to help a speaker to outline his/her ideas, and it was optional (please remember: not all speak Spanish, not all are native English speaker).

The DNI/passport stuff put me off, as well, although I understand it was for security reasons.

It would have been via email and was a necessary if we were to use Mercado Libre's room, which would have provided a level of security and privacy above and beyond that available in a public space. The trade off being a bunch English speaking expats talking about business they'd like to start is something possibly best done behind closed doors, albeit informally.

Any event I have attended I have presented a DNI as part of the entrance criteria, naturally MercadoLibre would have expected some validation to enter their premises in response to their generous offer to allow to use those premises.

I guess the idea would have been to understand the content that was useful initially through discussion, I certainly would have liked to have had some discussion around that before meeting.

It has been a useful exercise although I don't think it's something I would try and repeat via this medium unfortunately.

ps. For the few people who provided DNIs I will delete your messages and assure you that they have not been saved or stored anywhere else.

Reactions: Joe
The need for security under the circumstances is certainly understandable. That however does not make the idea of posting personal identifying information on the web/email where it can get sucked up whatever agencies or hackers a good idea. In fact it actually violates personal security.
Perhaps if something like this is tried again the planner can provide pgp keys to exchange information.

Power point just tends to set off alarm bells for some of us that have spent too many hours in 'presentations'.

Hi there I am interested! There is potential here but I think an in put from outside Argentina is great! So ready to join discussions!

Kudos to Cavehill for trying to put this together.

These things are hard to organize because everyone has their own idea on how it should be done.

Just to let you know what put me off on actually registering:
1) putting my info like passport/DNI # on web
2) the possibility/probability of power point presentations on specific technical subjects

I understand about the fear of putting your id number on the web. I wonder why we can't just register with out name, and when we arrive, our id's could be checked.

I want to go, but couldn't confirm because if I get out of work at 6pm or later, like many people, wouldn't be able to get to Saavedra. I hope we can find a way to make it work another day and time. The weekend would be great so people don't feel time constraint.

I would attend a weekend meetup in a cafe or bar. Probably the best time would be late lunch or an early evening before it gets noisy. I spent over 15 years working in silicon valley startups.

Back